iOS 3rd Edition Errata

Moderator: JoeConway

iOS 3rd Edition Errata

Postby JoeConway » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:11 pm

In Chapter 28, when adding JSON support to the RSSChannel, you are asked to implement readFromJSONDictionary: in RSSChannel.m

The format of the JSON data is now a bit different, so you'll need to swap out a line in this method:
Code: Select all
- (void)readFromJSONDictionary:(NSDictionary *)d
{
    NSDictionary *feed = [d objectForKey:@"feed"];

// DELETE THIS LINE
    // [self setTitle:[feed objectForKey:@"title"]];

// ADD THIS LINE
    [self setTitle:[[feed objectForKey:@"title"] objectForKey:@"label"]];

NSArray *entries = [feed objectForKey:@"entry"];
    for(NSDictionary *entry in entries) {
        RSSItem *i = [[RSSItem alloc] init];

[i readFromJSONDictionary:entry];

[items addObject:i];
    }
}

In Chapter 17, you are asked to use ibtool to generate localizeds XIB file. The book suggests you do like so:
ibtool --import-strings-file ~/Desktop/DetailViewController.strings --write
    /iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/es.lproj/Homepwner.xib
    /iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/en.lproj/Homepwner.xib

However, this creates XIB files named Homepwner.xib, when really, it should be creating XIB files named DetailViewController.xib. Update it so the two output paths end with DetailViewController.xib.

ibtool --import-strings-file ~/Desktop/DetailViewController.strings --write
    /iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/es.lproj/DetailViewController.xib
    /iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/en.lproj/DetailViewController.xib
Last edited by JoeConway on Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeConway

Re: iOS 3rd Edition Errata

Postby Grogor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Chapter 4, page 95, second paragraph. The sentence that reads "Select the debug navigator." should read "Select the breakpoint navigator."
Grogor

Postby bnapholtz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Chapter 11 - page 229:

You'll need to implement tableView:didSelectRowAtIndexPath: ( page 230 ) if you want to see the exception when you tap a row.
bnapholtz

Postby simonG » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:26 am

for those of us who have gone digital can we have location point data as well as page numbers for the errata - page numbers now mean nothing on Kindle and I'm having trouble finding the spots to make with a note. cheers

Simon
simonG

Postby miblha » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:59 pm

For the first project, initWithNibName is recommended. However, it is not being called and the arrays are not being initialized. (Xcode 4.3.2)
Changing action from initWithNibName to viewDidLoad fixes the issue. An explanation from the authors would be helpful on this.
miblha

Postby JoeConway » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:38 am

miblha wrote:For the first project, initWithNibName is recommended. However, it is not being called and the arrays are not being initialized. (Xcode 4.3.2)
Changing action from initWithNibName to viewDidLoad fixes the issue. An explanation from the authors would be helpful on this.

Are you sure you are using initWithNibName:bundle:?
JoeConway

Postby harrymohan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:25 am

For the first project, initWithNibName is recommended. However, it is not being called and the arrays are not being initialized. (Xcode 4.3.2)

I am also facing the same problem, I did set the debug points array questions and answers are null, I did pt pointer on SELF just currentIndexCounter is increasing in that.
harrymohan

Postby tomauhk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 am

Chapter 10 - Section 'Editing Mode' - the paragraph after two code snippets tableView:viewForHeaderInSection and tableView:heightForHeaderInSection

The second sentence reads - ... The first time tableView:heightForHeaderInSection: is sent to ItemViewController ....
Is it referring to tableView:viewForHeaderInSection instead??

Sorry that as I'm using Kindle version on iPad, which doesn't show page number but location only, I can only locate the paragraphs/ sentences as above. :(
tomauhk

Postby cstrombe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:19 pm

simonG wrote:for those of us who have gone digital can we have location point data as well as page numbers for the errata - page numbers now mean nothing on Kindle and I'm having trouble finding the spots to make with a note. cheers

Simon

Agree with this. I bought the Kindle version, page numbers meaningless. :cry:

Thanks.
cstrombe

Postby dmddmd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 am

Figures 9.8 and 9.9 both refer to a method and static variable named "defaultStore" which should instead be references to the method and static variable named "sharedStore".
dmddmd

Next

Return to iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (3rd Edition)