iOS 5 and Xcode 4.1 Download Link

Moderator: JoeConway

iOS 5 and Xcode 4.1 Download Link

Postby JoeConway » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:29 pm

If you have been following this thread, please see this post: http://forums.bignerdranch.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3336

iOS 5 changed a lot with memory management and the templates. The first few exercises in the book won't work right out of the box. Namely, ones that ask you to build from the Window-Based Application template.

You'll find a few solutions within this thread. Here is the recommended one for right now (I'm working on another):
1. Download this file: http://www.bignerdranch.com/solutions/Quiz.zip
2. Unzip it, it will be a directory containing all of the files created by the "Window-Based Template"
3. Any time you start a new project, duplicate this directory and begin from that duplicate.

All of your AppDelegates will be QuizAppDelegates - but that's okay. Also, all of your apps will be named Quiz. But you can change the name of your app in the settings for the project.

Another alternative is to download Xcode 4.1, but this can get tricky if you've already installed 4.2.

You can download Xcode 4.1 from http://connect.apple.com.
Last edited by JoeConway on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JoeConway

Re: Working with the iOS 5 beta? Read this.

Postby JoeConway » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

That Quiz.zip file is now up, in case any had read this in between that time.
JoeConway

Postby dknezha » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Joe - this helps a great deal.
I would also like to change the project name (and main directory) from Quiz to 'name of the chapter project', which in my case is Whereami. Is this possible?
dknezha

Postby gc3182 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:44 pm

This might help but I haven't tried it.
gc3182

Postby mtuminello » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 am

Any recommended sources on memory management changes? I think even Apple may not have updated their docs yet.
mtuminello

Postby gc3182 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 am

mtuminello wrote:I think even Apple may not have updated their docs yet.

That's only because iOS 5 is not yet in full release.

When you log in to developer.apple.com/ios, select the "iOS SDK 5 beta" tab, and from there "What's new in iOS 5". After a bunch of info on iCloud, there's an overview of Automatic Reference Counting (ARC), which I assume is what you're really after. (You can also tap the disclosure triangle by iOS 5.0 in the table of contents, then jump straight to the ARC overview.) And at the end of that section is a link to the Programming With ARC Release Notes.
gc3182

Exceptions always stop at main()

Postby dfeldman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:03 pm

One possibly iOS5-related issue I'm seeing is that whenever my apps crash on an except, the debugger just dumps me into main() with a largely unhelpful message in the debugger. A quick search through the Apple Developer forums suggests that this is due to a change in XCode, but doesn't suggest a fix. What's the solution?
dfeldman

Postby michaelrowe01 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Joe, thanks for putting this post here. I've been programming for a while on iOS and hav put off using xCode 4+ for along time. I finally bit the bullet a few months ago and what a nightmare! Oh well, gotta learn it.

Can't wait to see a version 3 of your and Aaron's book. Will there be an up grade offer for those who bought it as a Kindle book :)

Michael
michaelrowe01

Postby xjames » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Now that Xcode 4.2 is released, any updates on the best way to work around this issue?
thanks
xjames

Postby distefam » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 pm

xjames wrote:Now that Xcode 4.2 is released, any updates on the best way to work around this issue?
thanks

Bump. Any information regarding how we should be proceeding now that 4.2 is official? Surely, we shouldn't be using this workaround in our own applications though I suppose it is fine for pedagogical reasons.

Any timeframe for an official update of the book to reflect these changes?
distefam

Next

Return to iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (3rd Edition)