A great read

I’m really enjoying this book, I don’t think I’ve read a programming book quite like it. Most books of this nature start out promisingly and then dry up after a few chapters and become unreadable as the subject matter gets deeper and the author appears to forget his or her audience. But not here - the book is explaining concepts in a way that I’ve never quite grasped before. Each chapter isn’t very long, which helps with motivation - and it isn’t very wordy but somehow packs in more information than other books. It feels like each word has been carefully chosen. There is a little background information on the way things are done and why they are done and it is really helping my learning. Thanks Aaron!

(Sorry if this is not appropriate for this forum)

There is no need to apologize for a posting like that!

Writing this book was a joy and a nightmare. It was a book that had been sitting in my head for years, and it was a relief to get it on paper. But then there was the process of revisiting every word to make sure that it was the word the reader was ready to hear.

It gives me great satisfaction that at least one reader recognizes that this is a special book.

Not to be overly self-serving, but, you know, a nice review like that on Amazon or iBooks would double the sales of the book…

Thanks for putting the review on Amazon!

I have to agree! I am brand new to programming and so far I have been able to be motivated to continue although I’m at chapter 5 and I feel that I need to review the concepts before going on. I think my motivation continues because the language is clear and to the point, which makes me want to keep trying.

In my particular case I don’t think it is anything to do with how the book is written that I don’t quite grasp all the concepts, but the fact that this is my first attempt at something like this. I hope I’m able to decode all that I need before moving on to Chapter 6 because I really, really want to learn how to make an app, but I feel that it really is up to me!

-Francisco

[quote=“manufran”]I have to agree! I am brand new to programming and so far I have been able to be motivated to continue although I’m at chapter 5 and I feel that I need to review the concepts before going on. I think my motivation continues because the language is clear and to the point, which makes me want to keep trying.

In my particular case I don’t think it is anything to do with how the book is written that I don’t quite grasp all the concepts, but the fact that this is my first attempt at something like this. I hope I’m able to decode all that I need before moving on to Chapter 6 because I really, really want to learn how to make an app, but I feel that it really is up to me!

-Francisco[/quote]

I’m maybe not the right guy to give you advice - but I’m going to anyway! Take your time, you can’t short-circuit this learning process and you can’t know everything at the start. Review and re-review each chapter until it sinks in and most importantly, keep playing with the examples that Aaron has provided - change things and play about with the bits of code and do all the exercises. Don’t try and jump ahead of yourself or you’ll feel like you’re drowning and give up. Good luck!

I love this book too (and will say so on amazon shortly). I have taught myself several foreign languages to a fair level and am used to being baffled but Objective C has left me confused, this is the first time I have started to grasp what [self x] refers to or delegates for example.

One question though: I eventually want to write some apps for my colleagues and me (medical field)
If I stick with your books, what order would I take the Big Nerd ranch books in-
i’m thinking
obj c
Cocoa
iOS
advanced mac
have I missed one? does that sound right? I started the cocoa book but without having read obj c first I was lost about 5-6 chapters in.

Thanks for the kind words about the book.

Regarding your reading list: If you want to be able to write both desktop Mac applications and iOS applications, that is the perfect order. If you don’t need to know how to do desktop apps, you can skip the Cocoa book. If you don’t need to know how to do iOS applications, you can skip the iOS book.

One good thing about this order: The third edition of the iOS book (for iOS 5) won’t come out until March. If you time it right, the book will arrive just as you start on iOS.

I want to join in with the Kudos for this book. I bought it because I was waiting for the 4th edition of Cocoa Programming to be released and figured it would give me some additional information and also introduce Aaron’s writing style. This is undoubtedly the best self-paced training book I have ever read. I just finished it today and am getting ready to start the Cocoa book. All I can say is keep up the good work.

Oh, yeah, I said basically the same thing on Amazon just a couple of minutes ago. :smiley:

Lou and Mark, thanks so much for taking the time to let me know how much you like the book. The great reviews on Amazon make a huge difference for my whole company. Extra thanks for those.

I can just echo what others have said.

I love this book and it’s made the whole learning process a lot easier. I did try other books and only made a few chapters before giving up!

My next book is the iOS one from you guys. (Once I am done with this one of course! )

Thanks Aaron!