Actual layout does not look like the layout in the book

The actual layout on my machine does not look like Figure 1.11. The widgets within the root LinearLayout overlap each other:

The content of activity_quiz.xml is exactly as printed in Listing 1.2.

Do you have a second linear layout within the root Linear Layout? The second (child) linear layout contains both the true and false buttons. The Root linear layout holds the TextView.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I forgot to change the root layout from RelativeLayout to LinearLayout. Now the layout looks as expected. Thanks a lot!

My layout items do not overlap, but they are all left-justified instead of centered in the display as demonstrated in the book. I also do not have any errors in the layout file…I followed the code explicitly. Is there any way to get the buttons centered within the LinearLayout where they reside?

Having an issue too but didn’t think it warranted a new thread. The text in the two buttons is shifted right.

docs.google.com/file/d/0B13QW0P … sp=sharing

Everything seems to be the default (centered) but the text is kinda large.

Double check the XML attributes on your buttons. It may be that you’ve set your layout_width to a different value from that specified in the book.

Shouldn’t there be a line included as follows:

android:layout_gravity="center

This would be center the buttons.

[quote=“mbinna”]The actual layout on my machine does not look like Figure 1.11. The widgets within the root LinearLayout overlap each other:

The content of activity_quiz.xml is exactly as printed in Listing 1.2.[/quote]

Can you share your xml file?

Sorry I forgot to report back in. I called it a night and when I restarted the layout looked correct. Mush have just been a glitch.

[quote=“DennisSmith”]Shouldn’t there be a line included as follows:

android:layout_gravity="center

This would be center the buttons.[/quote]

When I took your advice and added the android:layout_gravity=“center” line, the layout worked perfectly. Both the horizontal and vertical arrangement were as shown in the book.