ArrayAdapter<T> / .toString question

On page 182 is the statement:

The default implementation of ArrayAdapter.getView(…) relies on toString(). It inflates
the layout, finds the correct Crime object, and then calls toString() on the object to populate the
TextView.

I believe you, but how/from where do we know this? This seems to relate to some of the other issues I was having before, and would appreciate knowing where to look to get a better understanding. My google-fu is weak, couldn’t find any useful information on developers.android.com.

ie. How would we know that public String toString() was what needed to be Overridden?

Thanks.

My standard google invocation is to simply scream, “GOOGLE, HOW DOES ARRAYADAPTER WORK??”

Well, not really. (I think they’re still working on that.) If I want to know details on ArrayAdapter, my first stop is usually to search for “ArrayAdapter android”, which will usually shoot you right to the reference documentation:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/ArrayAdapter.html

The information you’re looking for is in the discussion at the top of the page.

I may have answered my own question. This is from CrimeFragment.java

mTitleField = (EditText) v.findViewById(R.id.crime_title);
	mTitleField.addTextChangedListener(new TextWatcher() {
		public void onTextChanged(CharSequence c, int start, int before,
				int count) {
			[color=#0000FF][size=150]mCrime.setTitle(c.toString());[/size][/color]
		}

public void beforeTextChanged(CharSequence c, int start, int count,
				int after) {
			// This space intentionally left blank
		}

public void afterTextChanged(Editable c) {
			// This one too
		}
	});

Is that the answer to my inquiry?

[quote=“phillips”]My standard google invocation is to simply scream, “GOOGLE, HOW DOES ARRAYADAPTER WORK??”

Well, not really. (I think they’re still working on that.) If I want to know details on ArrayAdapter, my first stop is usually to search for “ArrayAdapter android”, which will usually shoot you right to the reference documentation:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/ArrayAdapter.html

The information you’re looking for is in the discussion at the top of the page.[/quote]

Thanks. I started my other post before your reply posted. I thought I had looked there already, but it makes more sense now.

Thanks for the patience.