Automatic property @synthesize

When I don’t explicitly synthesize my properties for ‘id controller’ and ‘tableView’ (Adding pointer to cell subclass) I get this error:
"Property ‘tableView’ attempting to use instance variable ‘_tableView’ declared in super class ‘UITableViewCell’. If I manually synthesize tableView (@synthesize tableView;) this error disappears. I understand that this has something to do with using an existing _tableView instance variable?

Okay, let me elaborate on this rather annoying subject.

In UITableViewCell.h there is a private instance variable declared as

When I don’t synthesize my tableView property because this is now default behavior in Xcode, a private instance variable is declared for me in HomepwnerItemCell.m:

This is also a private instance variable because this “automatic” synthesizing is the same as declaring an instance variable in the implementation section (private).

If I relay on default synthesizing I get an error telling me that I’m attempting to access the _tableView instance variable of the super class. I guess this is because the default getter would look something like this:

(UITableView *) tableView { return _tableView; //This is trying to access the private instance variable of the super class }
I don’t get it. I don’t understand why I get this error. The sub class is not supposed to inherit private instance variables of the super class. I guess there is something vital that I have overlooked but my brain is swollen from too much information in this chapter…

You seem to be misunderstanding private instance variables. Subclasses still inherit then, just cannot access them unless it is via a property declaration. That’s why the error goes away when you synthesize.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!
I must have misunderstood. Didn’t think the sub class inherited private instance variables. Thought that the sub class only inherited the accessor methods and not the instance variable. The UITableView *_tableView instance variable is not a property in the super class UITableViewCell so it doesn’t have a accessor method. That’s why I thought it was strange that the sub class attempted to access the instance variable of the super class… I’m still not really understanding this I think…