Better Approach to Checking Intent Safety

Regarding the end of Chapter 21, where the book addresses implicit intent validation by calling PackageManager’s queryIntentActivities() method, wouldn’t the better approach be to functionalize such a thing privately and then call the function in onCreateView()?.

Rather than setting up a separate structure to check for each individual intent, I just created the following private method in CrimeFragment.java:

private boolean isIntentSafe(Intent i) { PackageManager pm = getActivity().getPackageManager(); List<ResolveInfo> activities = pm.queryIntentActivities(i, 0); boolean safe = activities.size() > 0; return safe; }

And now I can run that anywhere I’d like when creating an intent in onCreateView, passing in the intent before starting an activity with it:

mSuspectButton.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener() { @Override public void onClick(View v) { Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_PICK, ContactsContract.Contacts.CONTENT_URI); if (isIntentSafe(i)){ startActivityForResult(i, REQUEST_CONTACT); } } });

Anyway, it’s a small adjustment – I just thought I’d point it out as an alternate design approach.