Book challenges

Hi all,

So, I have just finished the second chapter of this book and managed to complete the bronze and silver challenges of that chapter on my own, without outside help. However, when I got to the Gold challenge it was a lot harder and I took a look at the code posted in that section of the forum to see how other’s completed the challenge.

I went through the “working” code to see how it was done and understood what was happening in the code - it made sense.

I’m now wondering - as I progress through this book I will do my best to finish all challenges on my own - but should I be worried that I couldn’t do gold challenge on my own?

I’m new to the whole programming thing - I have done some C before this and read the Objective-C book by BNR - so it’s not the language that is getting me - it’s the way the project it put together.
Should I get better with this sort of thing the more I practice it and take up as many challenges as possible ?

Any other tips?

Thanks guys!

Definitely yes, but don’t stop there.

You can also learn from what others have done, good and bad, to judge your own standing; and also, most importantly, from the sample codes that Apple provides.

You should never underestimate the amount of time and energy required for learning to write good programs and for mastering the frameworks, while recognizing the fact that some people are (innately) better at this.

[quote=“ibex10”][quote]
Should I get better with this sort of thing the more I practice it and take up as many challenges as possible ?
[/quote]
Definitely yes, but don’t stop there.

You can also learn from what others have done, good and bad, to judge your own standing; and also, most importantly, from the sample codes that Apple provides.

You should never underestimate the amount of time and energy required for learning to write good programs and for mastering the frameworks, while recognizing the fact that some people are (innately) better at this.[/quote]

Thanks for your feedback - ibex.

Yesterday I was also very tired as I went to bed on Sunday around midnight and woke up 5 hrs later.
Lesson learnt: Go to bed early so I am “Fresh” in the morning to tackle programming problems. :sunglasses:

At the end of each chapter this is what I am going to do:

1. Complete as many of the challenges on my own.
  2. If I cannot complete a challenge - dig into the Apple documentation and look at sample code.
  3. Failing that - come here and see other’s code and see how others are doing it.
  4. Research some of the topics discussed in the chapter.

I think this is better than doing it this way:

1. Finish chapter
  2. Attempt challenges
  3. With failed challenges:
    3a. Give up and move on
    3b. - Check working code and move to next chapter

I guess I was expecting to understand everything at the end of each chapter - but I am starting to see that when I don’t - it’s “Okay” to look else where online / Apple documentation for extra explanation / point of view.