Book to read first if

If you are not familiar with the C Programming Language or the C++ Programming Language, you are encouraged to read the following book first:

The C Programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie.

The Objective-C Programming Language is a super set of the C Programming Language. Thus it is worth investing some time in reading the above book. There are lots of other books on the subject, but the book above was written by the creators of the C Programming Language.

Once you get a good background in C, you will find the Objective-C a pleasant language to learn and you will also have a smoother ride.

I am on chapter 9 and am having difficulty wrapping my head around some of the concepts in the Objective C BNR book. I am starting to feel like I need a more solid basis in C before just slogging through the rest of the book because I feel like it’s not sticking like it should.

I have a very basic background in Python as a hobbyist, and I work in a completely unrelated field. I have ideas for a couple of mobile apps that I think would be very useful, hence my desire to learn Objective-C and develop for iOS.

All this being said, I am looking into other C references so that I might get a more solid foundation before I continue with this book.

I am reading in a lot of places that K&R is definitely not something for a beginning programmer and have read some good things about Kochan’s book, Programming in C. Does anyone have any experience with this book, or should I just get a copy of K&R? I realize that learning C with only a minimum pf programming experience is going to be an uphill climb, but I also don’t want it to feel like I am constantly banging my head against a wall, either. Any advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A good book to learn C programming is “C Primer Plus, Sixth Edition” by Stephen Prata Published by Addison-Wesley.