Build works, but maps are not showing

Hi,

I am using XCode 4.3.2, IPhone Simulator 5.1, and I’m trying to get the MapKit code to work. I have made all the interface connections and followed the coding instructions up to page 109 of the book (3rd edition). It builds fine without any errors, but when I run it on the IPhone simulator, it just shows the input box but no map - instead, the background is greyed out with a grid where the map should be. I have simulated the location by selecting it from the drop down, but no joy.

I have now downloaded the code example from this site to see where my code is going wrong, but that also gives the same result:

I’m confused as why they are both failing the exact same way. Do I need to be connected to the internet for it to download the maps or something? Or maybe there’s an extra library that I need to add to the app?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Nick

Yes, an internet connection is required to download map data from Google.

Ah, ok thanks, that explains it.

My wi-fi dongle is not working at the moment, so that’s why it’s not downloading. It does not make any mention of needing an active internet connection in the book, so I wasn’t aware that would be a problem.

Cheers,

Nick