Can't get emulator/device working

I have an android device; a Samsung galaxy S5, but Android studio doesn’t seem to recognize it. Here are the steps I did:

1. Plugged my device into computer
  2. Clicked the Android Device Monitor icon in the top right
    –>My device did not show up on the device side bar so:
  3. I went to the arrow and did ‘reset adb’, still nothing.

I followed the steps in the book exactly and they said if the device doesn’t show up after I hit reset adb go to the forums, so here I am! Note that I am not using Eclipse I am using Android Studio.

I also have trouble getting the Emulator up. I followed the steps in the book to set up the Emulator however, I had to choose different options for my Emulator because the options the book told me to select I did not have. The emulator seems to appear when I run the project however all it shows is “android” across a black screen. I’ve tried clicking buttons but it doesn’t do anything. Since I have an actual device I would think getting the device working would be more beneficial to me. However, again neither works, help please!

Thank you.
-Matt

*EDIT:
I just noticed an error in my Android Device Manager Console, it says:

[2014-07-19 19:46:22 - DeviceMonitor] Adb connection Error:An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
[2014-07-19 19:46:23 - DeviceMonitor] Connection attempts: 1

I now got my device to show up on the devices table. I didn’t configure my device for development. However, i am now getting an error when I try to run Geoquiz on my phone:

pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.example.matt.geoquiz
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

It seems that your target API level is lower than the phone, try using higher API level when creating the Android project.

Open your SDK manager and check you have installed
Google USB Driver
Intel x86 Emulator Acceleration(if your using Intel instead of ARM)