Challenge Problem: Section

I am reposting this question, hoping to get some responses. I am at a loss as to how to display possession items under value $50 in one section and over $50 in another section.

Here is what I am doing in my implementation section.

@implementation ItemsViewController

-(id) init
{
	// Call the superclass's designated initializer
	[super initWithStyle:UITableViewStyleGrouped];

// Create an array of 10 random possessions objects
	possessions = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];
	possessions2 = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];

for (int i=0; i <5; i++) {
		if ([[Possesions randomPossession] valueInDollars] < 50) {
			[possessions1 addObject:[Possesions randomPossession]];

}
		else {
			[possessions2 addObject:[Possesions randomPossession]];

}

//z[possessions addObject:[Possesions randomPossession]];
	}
	return self;
}

And, to create 2 sections, I am using

-(NSInteger) numberOfSectionsInTableView:(UITableView *)tableView
{
	return 2;
}

Could you please give me some directions on how to assign the correct entries to correct section?

Thank you.

Hi,

tableviews are populated by asking the datasource a series of questions about what to display.

How many sections ? - which you’ve addressed in the numberOfSectionsInTableView “return 2”

then

How many rows in section 0 ?
and then a bit later
How many rows in section 1 ?

So you will need to implement numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section to answer these questions
{
// Which section am I being asked about
if (section == 0)
return [possessions1 count];
else //Must be section 1
return [possessions2 count];
}

and you also need to answer:
"What cell should I use for Section n Row n ? - This will be asked for each cell displayed

so in the method cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
you can say

if ([indexPath section] == 0)
[[cell textLabel] setText:[[possessions1 objectAtIndex:[indexPath row]] description]];
else //Must be section 1
[[cell textLabel] setText:[[possessions2 objectAtIndex:[indexPath row]] description]];

Hopefully that helps - if you’re still struggling let me know.

Gareth

Thank you for the clear answer. That helped quite a bit! Thanks again.

Hi,

Doing this from memory so could be way off here.

Each time [Possession randomPossession] is executed it creates a new possession so the code is checking the value of a possession but then generating a brand new one to put in the array.

So you will need to store it first. Something along the lines of…

Possession *newPossession = [Possession randomPossession];

if ([newPossession valueInDollars] > 50)
[possessions addObject:newPossession];
else
[under50 addObject:newPossession];

HTH

Gareth

GarethR:

I solved the Challenge using more or less the solution you posted. One issue I am having, though, is that if I try to scroll way down or way up (such that it should bounce back into place because I am scrolling beyond the list), the app crashes. I’ve put in plenty of NSLog events to try to track this down, but I can see to figure out what’s up. It’s almost like it is trying to make a new cell or pull additional info for a cell that is not there. What should I check, or how can I troubleshoot this kind of problem?

Thanks!
Paul

Hi Paul,

First thing that springs to mind is whether you’re returning the correct row count for the relevant section. If not you’ll get a NSRangeException for exceeding the array bounds.

If that’s the case then check that your two arrays are consistently used in the numberOfRowsInSection and cellForRowAtIndexPath methods.

It can help to #define these to make it easier to spot.

#define kpossessionsUnderFifty 0
#define kpossessionsOverFifty 1

then instead of
if (section == 0)

you can say
if (section == kpossessionsUnderFifty)
return [possessionsUnderFifty count];

and

if ([indexPath section] == kpossessionsUnderFifty)
[[cell textLabel] setText:[[possessionsUnderFifty objectAtIndex:[indexPath row]] description]];

If this isn’t the problem then let me know what the console’s displaying after the crash.

Gareth

Well, it is definitely not an Out of Range Exception. I logged each count to the Console, and I am getting 6 for [expensivePossessions count] and 4 for [cheapPossessions count].

One addition observation I just noticed is that the crashes as the tableview is snapping back into position. That is, let’s say I drag it way up… the app will crash immediately after I let go of it. The same thing happens if I drag it way down and let go.

One thing I just noticed is that this happens when I drag it far enough for one cell to disappear, and when it comes back onto the screen, usually it is populated with something like “ca.lproj” or “file://blahblah”. So yes, it is pulling from somewhere outside of the array. Or rather, it is missing the index and hitting some place in memory that it shouldn’t. I am guessing that occasionally, it hits something that it really shouldn’t and that’s when it crashes.

I’m still looking into this, but I thought I’d share.

Hmmm, it sounds like somethings going wrong around the dequeueReusableCell area as this starts coming into play when cells disappear off the screen.

Good Luck

Gareth

Yeah, i definitely think it’s something with my reusable cells. I’ve been playing around with it for a while this morning, and can’t seem to get any useful feedback from the console. Here is my tableView:cellForRowAtIndexPath method. Let me know if you see anything off-base.

[code]-(UITableViewCell *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
// Check for a reusable cell first, use that if it exists
UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:@“UITableViewCell”];

//if there is no reusable cell of this type, create a new one
if (!cell) {
	cell = [[[UITableViewCell alloc] initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleDefault reuseIdentifier:@"UITableViewCell"] autorelease];
}

//Set the text on the cell with the description of the possesion that is at the nth index of possessions,
//where n  = row this cell will appear in on the tableview
if ([indexPath section]==0) {
	[[cell textLabel] setText:[[cheapPossessions objectAtIndex:[indexPath row]] description]];
}
if ([indexPath section]==1) {
	[[cell textLabel] setText:[[expensivePossessions objectAtIndex:[indexPath row]] description]];
}
return cell;

}[/code]

I know my two arrays are set up properly, and when I reference the indexPath row, that is correct. I’m just not sure how it is pulling data from the wrong place when it tries to reuse a reusable cell.

Paul,

Can’t see anything wrong there.

Post the rest of your code if you’re at a loss.

Gareth

I had a similar problem and I fixed it, but I’m not sure how or why. When I stopped autoreleasing the temporary possession object I created in init, the program stopped crashing. Shouldn’t I be autoreleasing those objects? Doesn’t the NSMutableArray retain those after addObject?

I don’t have the exact code in front of me, but it was something like this:

for (int i=1; i<=10; i++)
{
   Possession *tempPossession = [Possession randomPosession];
   if ([tempPossession valueinDollars]>50)
    //add to high price possession array
    [highPriceArray addObject:tempPossession];
    else 
    //low price
    [lowPriceArray addObject:tempPossession];
}

So I thought if I autoreleased tempPossession I would be OK, but I guess not. Earlier in the book (chapter 2 or 3) I thought it said NSMutableArray will retain the object after addObject.

Edit: Forgot to add the debugger was showing an “EXC_BAD_ACCESS” message, which led me to my fix. I’m sure whoever is getting the crashing when scrolling is probably seeing the same thing.

If you had autoreleased (or released) the possession after you added to the array, you’d get a crash.

This is because the possession you are given that you intend to add to the array has already been autoreleased.

I was stuck with

- (NSInteger)numberOfSectionsInTableView:(UITableView *)tableView { return 2; }

instead i was using

- (NSInteger)numberOfSections { return 2; }

I was so stupid. Grrr
Hope this helps anyone who wrote everything else right.