Chapter 8 challenge pre-requisites

I feel like I am missing something big…

What part of this book up through chapter 8 would have prepared me to answer the challenge questions in this chapter? I didn’t see this addressed anywhere, is there a pre-requisite knowledge needed here? Does this come from a solid understanding of C? Some level of math?

That said, I was pointed to this book as a good beginning reference for learning Objective-C for iPad app development. Since I am obviously missing more basic fundamentals, can anyone suggest a true beginning education to app development?

Thank you,

Lisa

[quote]What part of this book up through chapter 8 would have prepared me to answer the challenge questions in this chapter? I didn’t see this addressed anywhere
[/quote]
The first part of the challenge is covered (in my book) on Page 57, How many bytes.

The challenges in that chapter don’t not require any knowledge of math, but they do require good knowledge of the fundamental types and therefore how integral numbers are represented as signed and unsigned integers, and how real numbers are represented as float and double. Thus, a good knowledge of the C- Programming Language will be enable you to tackle them successfully.

As for the beginning education to app development, BNR books are excellent starting points.

But you need to be willing to put in significant amount time and energy to learn:

• The Objective-C Programming Language (This implies the C Programming Language.) [The easy part]
  • How to use Xcode efficiently [The easy part]
  • How to read and interpret Apple’s documentation and sample codes
  • How to use the Cocoa and iOS Frameworks
  • Good programming skills

If you can afford to attend the BNR courses at the Ranch, it will be well worth the money spent (but learn how to crawl first.)

I actually haven’t gotten to Chapter 8 yet, but one great thing I’ve learned while reading this book is that it’s good to have someone who knows the language there to help you out. I personally have only done a little HTML and some Java, and now I’m jumping into Objective-C. Luckily, I have a friend who helps clarify some stuff, and it makes things a lot easier. So my recommendation is to find someone who knows the language to help you learn. Hope this helps :smiley: