Errata

Found an error? Add it here.

Chapter 13, page 380. First line of code in the book shows (sender: AnyObject), but on the previous page, the Type was entered as UITapGestureRecognizer. Your code will have (Sender: UITapGestureRecognizer)

This link bignerdranch.com/we-teach/h … visioning/ in chapter 1 seems to be broken or content is missing.

FYI, page 48.

Chapter 15, page 441. Last paragraph regarding “Build and run”. A suggestion: As you do in other chapters and sections, note that images are not saved when switching to background, and will be fixed later in the chapter.

Chapter 19, Pg 834, under UIPanGestureRecognizer

First line of new code is missing "let"
let moveRecognizer = UIPanGestureRecognizer(target: self, action: “moveLine:”)

[quote=“pallamf”]Chapter 19, Pg 834, under UIPanGestureRecognizer

First line of new code is missing "let"
let moveRecognizer = UIPanGestureRecognizer(target: self, action: “moveLine:”)[/quote]

I think you’re using an ebook, so let me confirm. You’re talking about Chapter 18 (Gesture Recognizers) in the section titled “UIPanGestureRecognizer and simultaneous recognizers,” correct?

The code listed here is correct. In the first code chunk, you declare a property named moveRecognizer:

Then in the second code chunk, you are assigning to that property, so var/let is not needed:

Hope that helps!

Chapter 1, page 24

The name of the Quiz icon in the ZIP file does not match the name of the file in the book:
Book: Icon@2x.png
File: Quiz-120.png

Page 37, let range = 0…< countingUp.count

There should not be a space between the less than symbol and countingUp.count

Do you want simple typos unrelated to code posted here as well? So they can be fixed in the next edition?

Feel free to post anything! Typo and code errata fixes will presumably go into a second printing, whenever we get to that point.

Page 178 above Figure 11.5, it says “Control-click on the ItemViewCell” in the document outline. There is no ItemViewCell. Only ItemCell is there.

Also, for me no amount of Ctrl-click/drag causes the popup shown. I only get the alignment popup.

On page 207 at the bottom, a step is missing.

We embedded the ItemsViewController into a UINavigationController, but we didn’t add the Detail View Controller.

The information in the last paragraph seems to imply the DetailViewController is already on the stack.

Chapter 14, page 239:

In the section named “// MARK:”, the sentence “The divider and label can be combined” is followed by a code example that should show one of each – instead, the example shows two labels.

ETA: Never mind – I see now that it’s really two examples of a combined divider/label

Was srbjwe’s question on the broken or missing content link ever addressed?

This link bignerdranch.com/we-teach/h … visioning/ in chapter 1 seems to be broken or content is missing.

[quote=“mkaply”]On page 207 at the bottom, a step is missing.

We embedded the ItemsViewController into a UINavigationController, but we didn’t add the Detail View Controller.

The information in the last paragraph seems to imply the DetailViewController is already on the stack.[/quote]

The connection to the DetailViewController was made in the previous chapter on page 194 in the Segues section.

[quote=“BBar84”]Was srbjwe’s question on the broken or missing content link ever addressed?

This link bignerdranch.com/we-teach/h … visioning/ in chapter 1 seems to be broken or content is missing.[/quote]
Known, we are working on it. The link was part of our bootcamp registration process. It was removed recently since you no longer need a developer account to run applications on your device. Working on getting it back up, but it shouldn’t impact book progress since you can still run on your device.

[quote=“ChristianKeur”]
The connection to the DetailViewController was made in the previous chapter on page 194 in the Segues section.[/quote]

Got it. I misunderstood how segues versus views work.

As a side note, this book is great. One of the best coding books I’ve read in a long time.

As far as I’ve been able to research, the explicit use of self in the following code:

func animateLabelTransitions () { self.nextQuestionLabelCenterXConstraint.constant = 0 self.currentQuestionLabelCenterXConstraint.constant += screenWidth

does nothing, and it should be removed. Yes, I know it is not an error–but it is a mistake because it does not comport with the style used in previous examples. More importantly, it is confusing in a chapter that deals with closures, which require the explicit use of self which increases the retain count. This reader was left wondering if all explicit uses of self increase the retain count.

[quote=“mkaply”]Page 37, let range = 0…< countingUp.count

There should not be a space between the less than symbol and countingUp.count[/quote]
I spent some minutes on this… couldn’t understand why it wasn’t working !

So either the space should be removed like you said, either one can be added. There are two ways to write down the code :

let range = 0..<countingUp.count
let range = 0 ..< countingUp.count

Either space on each side, either no space at all. But only one space won’t work.