Error running ibtool

I’m running xcode on lion, so don’t know if there’s any quirks with this configuration.

I’m wondering about the parameters for ibtool. Here’s the command I used adjusted for my directory configuration and the error I got.

ibtool --import-strings-file ~/Desktop/DetailViewController.strings --write ../es.lproj/Homepwner.xib ../en.lprog/Homepwner.xib<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>com.apple.ibtool.errors</key> <array> <dict> <key>description</key> <string>Interface Builder could not open the document "Homepwner.xib" because it does not exist.</string> </dict> </array> </dict> </plist>
Now I ran the command from within the en.lprog directory, so don’t know if that was issue. I’m wondering though is Homepwner.xib correct in this case, shouldn’t it be creating a DetailViewController.xib file?

So, what did I miss?

You should be writing DetailViewController.xib. Homepwner.xib isn’t a file in this project.

In the book on page 345 it has

ibtool --import-strings-file ~/Desktop/DetailViewController.strings --write
/iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/es.lproj/Homepwner.xib
/iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/en.lproj/Homepwner.xib

so it should really be:
ibtool --import-strings-file ~/Desktop/DetailViewController.strings --write
/iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/es.lproj/DetailViewController.xib
/iphone/Homepwner/Homepwner/en.lproj/DetailViewController.xib

Correct?

Yup, you are totally right, the book has an error. Thanks for finding that… did changing the text to DetailViewController.xib work?

Yeah Joe, changing that worked as described. I thought it was wrong in the book, but no one else seemed to post about it, or seemed to notice it

Well, thank you for forging on the path less traveled. :slight_smile: