Explanation of "Changing a Build Setting"

This is the last section in the chapter (page 281).

Once it got time to get practical, I’m thoroughly confused.

1 - recursiveDescription generates a warning for an undeclared selector.
2 - How do i control what I’m building, Debug or release?
3 - I built for analysis and now I’m getting a no implementation error for TouchTrackerTest. I get why, but I don’t get know how to get rid of it.

This seems like a huge deal, specifying build settings and this is a page and a half. Is there a better resource for understanding this stuff out there?

Thanks!

I had the same issue so I did a search thru these boards for an answer.

This exact same issue was posted here in 2011 for the TouchTracker app. I’m seeing quite a few examples of sections of previous editions being thrown in this edition without being updated or addressed. While I’m learning quite a bit from the book, it does make me wonder about the completeness and accuracy of what I’m learning.

Regarding UIView’s recursiveDescription method, the method is private to UIView. As such, it isn’t available to the editor to verify prior to compile. Hence the error and why auto complete didn’t kick in when you started typing the method name.

So, a few different options (in addition to ignoring the Semantic Issue warning kicked by the compiler)…

if the built-in recursiveDescription doesn’t provide enough detail, try Peter Steinberg’s great little add on: petersteinberger.com/blog/2012/p … scription/

I also like Jeffrey Sambell’s approach of automating recursiveDescription through the debug window: jeffreysambells.com/2013/01/24/d … s-in-xcode

Want to do the same with View Controllers, check out this post from Stack Overflow (originally from GitHub): stackoverflow.com/questions/1419 … -hierarchy

Regards,

Mark H

[quote=“zoboomafoo”]
1 - recursiveDescription generates a warning for an undeclared selector.

This seems like a huge deal, specifying build settings and this is a page and a half. Is there a better resource for understanding this stuff out there?
Thanks![/quote]

I just got to this point and it really “bugs” me. Despite the warning, it works!

I know the goal is warning-free compiles, but I think we are supposed to make an exception here because the recursiveDescription method is private and is described in a tech note called “iOS Debugging Magic.” Let’s just say the editor is a very intelligent Muggle and that it will not understand the spells we learn from Hogwarts, oops! I mean, Cupertino! :wink: