Getting singular "bottle" for 1

I’ve worked through Chapter 26, but decided to dip back into earlier chapters to make sure I understand everything so far. As I was redoing the recursion example, I decided I wanted the word “bottle” to appear instead of “bottles” when there is only one bottle. So I added two “else if” statements to cover the problem. I’m sure there is a better way to do this. But it did satisfy the grammar stickler in me.

[code]#include <stdio.h>

void singTheSong (int numberOfBottles)
{
if (numberOfBottles == 0) {
printf(“There are simply no more bottles of beer on the wall.\n”);

} else if (numberOfBottles == 1) {
    printf("%d bottle of beer on the wall. %d bottle of beer.\n", numberOfBottles, numberOfBottles);
    int oneFewer = numberOfBottles - 1;
    printf("Take one down, pass it around, %d bottles of beer on the wall.\n", oneFewer);
    singTheSong(oneFewer);
    printf("Put a bottle in the recycling, %d empty bottle in the bin.\n", numberOfBottles);

} else if (numberOfBottles == 2) {
    printf("%d bottles of beer on the wall. %d bottles of beer.\n", numberOfBottles, numberOfBottles);
    printf("Take one down, pass it around, %d bottle of beer on the wall.\n", oneFewer);
    singTheSong(oneFewer);
    printf("Put a bottle in the recycling, %d empty bottles in the bin.\n", numberOfBottles);

} else {
    printf("%d bottles of beer on the wall. %d bottles of beer.\n", numberOfBottles, numberOfBottles);
    printf("Take one down, pass it around, %d bottles of beer on the wall.\n", oneFewer);
    singTheSong(oneFewer);
    // This function calls itself! Frames start casting off at 0, completing this last step
    printf("Put a bottle in the recycling, %d empty bottles in the bin.\n", numberOfBottles);
}

}

int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{
singTheSong(99);

return 0;

}
[/code]

I knew if I posted that, I’d think of more ways to improve it.

I noticed in the debugger that two instances of oneFewer were being generated in every frame. So I tried to remedy that by declaring oneFewer outside of the if/else statements. That seems to have worked.

#include <stdio.h>

void singTheSong (int numberOfBottles)
{  
    int oneFewer = numberOfBottles;

printf("There are simply no more bottles of beer on the wall.\n");

} else if (numberOfBottles == 1) {
        printf("%d bottle of beer on the wall. %d bottle of beer.\n", numberOfBottles, numberOfBottles);
        oneFewer = numberOfBottles - 1;
        singTheSong(oneFewer);
        printf("Put a bottle in the recycling, %d empty bottle in the bin.\n", numberOfBottles);

} else if (numberOfBottles == 2) {
        printf("Take one down, pass it around, %d bottle of beer on the wall.\n", oneFewer);
        singTheSong(oneFewer);

} else {
        singTheSong(oneFewer);
        // This function calls itself! Frames start casting off at 0, completing this last step
    }
}

{
    singTheSong(99);

return 0;
}

hi there.
good one to think about. :unamused:
i did it with a ternary operator. i didn’t like the use for two times then. so i tried it also within a function, but it seems i’m not into returning strings yet, i will propably get back to this later. — or maybe someone take it and show it here as function? :geek:

#include <stdio.h>

void singTheSong(int numberOfBottles)
{
       printf("There are simply no more bottles of beer on the wall.\n");
   }
   else {
           char *singularPlural = (numberOfBottles>1) ? "bottles" : "bottle";
           printf ("%d %s of beer on the wall. %d %s of beer. \n", numberOfBottles, singularPlural, numberOfBottles, singularPlural);
           int oneFewer = numberOfBottles -1;
           singularPlural = (oneFewer>1) ? "bottles" : "bottle";
           printf("Take one down, pass it around, %d %s of beer on the wall.\n", oneFewer, singularPlural);
           singTheSong(oneFewer);  //Diese Funktion ruft sich selber auf!
           printf("Put a bottle in the recycling. %d empty bottles in the bin.\n", numberOfBottles);
   }
}

{

singTheSong(99);
   return 0;
}

maybe it would be helpful to drink that much beer for real first, and then…mh :unamused: