Go to iOS7 or not

Hello,

I’m a new iOS programmer and currently reading iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (3rd Edition). I’m on Chapter 15.

• Should I finish reading and executing the code in the book with Xcode Version 4.6.3 or upgrade to Xcode 5 with iOS 7?

• Are there any tips on when it’s a good time to upgrade your Xcode and SDK without causing many issues with the PRODUCTION version of your app?

• Is there anyone reading this book and working on there personal app at the same time? If so, did you encounter any issues upgrading to iOS7 and still performing exercises in this book.

Regards,

Mike

You can already pre-order the 4th edition:
amazon.com/iOS-Programming-R … amming+4th

Release date: December 26, 2013

It may be a good idea to continue using your current setup rather then trying to learn and figure out what changes effect your the code from 3rd edition by upgrading to iOS 7. There are a lot of changes with iOS 7 and you may run into auto layout issues by upgrading. If you are building an App that requires iOS 7 and using the book as guidance then i’m guessing you will muscle through it but if you can wait then it will be a better learning experience.

Thanks pdabrowski!!! I will keep on my current path and pre-order the 4th edition. I will make necessary changes then.

Definitely finish the current book. You will learn a lot by doing so. Also, most of what you will learn will still be valid. There will be changes, but Apple hasn’t retired the entire set of objective-c. Finally, you may end up not liking iOS 7 and decide to stick with 6 for a while.

Jeff