Good book but having a little trouble

Maybe it’s me or maybe not but I am determined to learn this one way or another.

The book is great and its been fun learning how to make simple programs and for the most part I’ve done all the challenges.

My issue is this, at chapter 9 and around there I started having a hard time following what is actually being taught.

The chapters Pass By reference, Structs, and The Heap made little sense but I moved on thinking that knowing it backwards and forwards would be better explained and exampled later since the Objective-C chapter was right after those. I’m now on chapter 14 and feel like I’m not understanding most if not all the chapters by now. I keep seeing new commands pop up without a good explanation of what everything is and how it works. I have zero programming experience so this might be the major issue but any suggestions on how I can better understand it? I’ve gone over it twice and still don’t feel confident I’m grasping the concept thats being taught.

I really like the book and its presentation but I’m wondering if anyone has also has some issues around this point and maybe tell me how you got around them.

I’m on Ch. 15, and glad to hear that I’m not the only one having some trouble. I’m plugging along, but wish there was a bit more explanation along the way. Also, the Challenges would work better for me if there was some discussion, at the back of the book, of possible solutions. The forums are helpful in that regard, yes, but… I picked up the book as an alternative to searching the web, and I want to hear it from the author.

FWIW, I’ve found it helpful to read other explanations when a chapter seems a bit short. Scott Stevenson’s “Learn Objective-C” cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_objectivec/ has helped. His explanations aren’t necessarily clearer or better, but they are different. And sometimes that’s enough.

Yea that should help at least some. Thanks for the link.

I don’t know if this part of the book is more of a general overview and we will go in-depth later or I should fully understand what I’m reading before moving on. I have a tendency when learning something that builds on itself later to want to know every meaning, use, and how it works. I find the issue is like “See this xxxx function and how it does this to xxxxx function” and says nothing about how or what they do. That’s where I get lost. Also not a super clear explanation on what said expressions are used for.

Hi Syntex7!

I think this is the most important point - don’t go on if you are unsure about main principles, because you will be lost if it comes to more complex issues which require the understanding of these basic principles. Sometimes it can be a good idea to have a break or to read any other sources which explain the topic from a different angle of view.

My first contact with programming was Basic and Pascal. At that time you worked basically with the DOS command-line may be with ANSI graphics no event driven hi-res GUIs like today. I think this kind of programming was easier to understand for a newbie. OOP like Objective-C works completely different and is much more powerful and complex, but you feel slightly lost because of so many methods and rules. So I guess you will need much more practice to feel familiar with this kind of programming. It’s a little bit like playing with Lego stones, you have to know the different (basic) parts and how you can put them together. But you do not have to know in detail how Lego produce all these different parts to build something impressive. So don’t try to dig too deep. It is always a sweet reward, if the first own little project works as expected :smiley:

Have a nice sunday!
Vertex