Good way to jump into making iOS games?

Hi - I am nearing the end of the book, and was interested in seeing the options for continuing to learn more about iOS game development. Are there any suggestions for getting started on that/books to recommend/books BNR is writing? Thanks!

I’m in the same boat as you. This book has been an absolutely great experience, and it really leaves you with the desire to dig deeper (Thanks many times over, BNR!).

Check out Ray Wenderlich’s site (http://www.raywenderlich.com) where there are more practical tutorials than I ever imagined I would find in one place. A lot of them center around games, but there are plenty of generic/productivity app tutorials as well. The first one I did with them was the massive 7-part Snap! card game tutorial, which I wouldn’t necessarily recommend first-thing just because it’s so huge!

If you are serious about becoming a graphics programmer, make sure that you:

• Understand iOS’s core graphics framework;
  • Have a firm grasp of linear algebra: points, lines, vectors, matrices, transformations, etc;
  • Learn the C++ language;

Only a few of us here have experience writing games so I don’t foresee a book on iOS game development coming soon. I’ve personally used cocos2d for iPhone (cocos2d-iphone.org) to do some simple 2D games. I’d recommend it.

I’m kind of in the same boat. In all honesty, reflect on the above. Go and tackle learning C++, Quartz, and Open GL. These will get you were you want to be. Take Coco’s 2D if you ONLY want to deal with 2D programming and … well you’ll be a little restricted by their library. I personally would go all out with Quartz and Open GL. This book was astoundingly good. It saddens me to see that they don’t have a Game Development book.