How to print instance name in fast enumeration?

I am trying to use fast enumeration to print out my portfolio info. Especially the name of each stock (the instance names (objects) of the array)

NSArray *portfolio = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:stock_0, stock_1, stock_2, nil];

for (StockHoldings *stock in portfolio) {
            NSLog(@"%@ was purchased for %f, now worths %f, has a profit/loss of %f", stock, [stock costInDollars], [stock valueInDollars], [stock valueInDollars]-[stock costInDollars]);
        }

However, my output did not print “stock_0”, instead it prints: <StockHoldings: 0x10010a670>

<StockHoldings: 0x10010a670> was purchased for 9471.000000, now worths 10397.099609, has a profit/loss of 926.099609

One way to get around this is to add an variable in the class called stockName. But my question/point is: there gotta be a way to print the instance name. I looked posts in the board. It seems people simply ignore the stock identifiers and only prints the numbers.

Thank you very much, fellows!

stock_0, stock_1, etc are the names of instance variables; they are not instance names. If you want to name your instances, you must declare properties and give values to them:

@interface Foo
@property (copy) NSString *name;
@end

You must also override the - description method of the class to write the instance name in the descritiption.

Thank you so much for your reply, ibex10!

So I was right. I have to declare a variable to hold the name, just like price and numbers, etc.

And there is no way to call the “names of instance variables” in fast enumeration.?

I am wondering the same thing. Since I have already given names to these object instances (e.g., stock1, stock2, stock3 in my code), is there a way to have NSLog display these instance variable names?

Stop wondering. Objects do not have intrinsic names derived from the names of instance variables, unless you write extra code to equip them with names.

Ok. Thanks.