How to programmatically create the ...More tabBar item?

Hi I’m creating a tab more with 5 items. How can I programmatically create the Icon/item for “More”? If I use Interface Builder it can auto-magically create the Tab bar item identifier “More” with the 3 dots. I’d like to do this in code. Any ideas?

Does it have anything to do with UITabBarSystemItemMore? How can I make this work? Following the code in Chapter 7 I’d like to replace the “Time.png” for example with “More”

-Marcus

The More… tab bar item will automatically be used if you have more than 4 (or maybe 5?) view controllers in a tab bar controller.

You can set a tab bar item’s icon to be that of the More… icon by choosing one of the various constants for the tab bar item, I believe. However, Apple has strict rules about using their pre-fabbed icons and they all have a specific purpose. Therefore, if you were to use the More… tab bar item for something that did not display a Navigation Controller with a table view root view controller that had additional options, they might reject your application.

Thanks Joe
Its 5 then “More” will appear!

Follow up:

Joe another question on the More … button. How would I go about getting rid of the “edit” button that appears when I click on More? The edit button seems to appear on/as a UINavigationItem I think. ( I haven’t skipped ahead to that chapter yet )

I hope this question makes sense.

Technically, you can, but it is ugly and I’d imagine it is ugly because they don’t want you to do it.

UIViewController *vc = [[[tabBarController moreNavigationController] viewControllers] objectAtIndex:0];
	[[vc navigationItem] setRightBarButtonItem:nil];

Of course, you can’t do this when instantiate the tab bar controller - you have to wait until the More navigation controller appears on the screen and only when it is on the screen. The only hacky way I can think of doing that is call that code in every view controller in the tab bar controller viewDidDisappear: method. Which is why it is ugly. (You can get ahold of the tabBarController in a view controller with [self tabBarController]).

There may be a better way of doing that, but off the top of my head, that is direction you are headed.

Thanks again Joe. I’m looking forward to the other chapters. Excellent book btw.