Huge request

Would it be possible to request a re-write of this chapter released in a pdf file attached to this topic as a sticky?

Or write a version of this chapter that is very easy to understand.

This may be asking too much, but could you indulge us (those having a hard time with this chapter)?

Thanks for considering.

It may be a good idea to explain exactly what issues you are having with this chapter.

Well, I kinda almost understand the chapter but not confident enough to do the challenge.
I’m already on my 9th day with this chapter. Other chapters was just a day or two—(I have a full time job, btw).

What took so long was referring to other websites & books to get a clearer view of this chapter.
Also had problems understanding the dealloc & description method.
I’ve read somewhere that this two methods are ran inside the main function invisibly.

Also had issues with this code

-(void)addAssetsObject:(Asset *)a {
    //Is assets nil?
    if (!assets){
        //Create the arry
        assets = [[NSMutableArray alloc]init];
    }
    [assets addObject:a];
}

Specifically on

and

But that’s resolved now thanks to the forum.

I’m tempted to skip the chapter but I’m here to learn & not just finish the book.

Chapters 1 - 18 were written beautifully for beginners like me.
Then came chapter 19… really thought that it was written by another person. :smiley:

But don’t get me wrong… I’m all praises for this book.
I love the book and I’m learning a lot & I’m sure will learn a lot more once I get past this.
Maybe I’m just really slow with this chapter…
I’m treating it like a bump in the road rather than a roadblock.

What exactly do you find hard to understand in this chapter? Can you be more specific?

Please forgive me for being blunt, but do you understand the concept of

• Primitive types such as a char, int, float, etc?

• A pointer to an object of a primitive type such as a float?

• Packing primitive types, in a struct, to derive a complex type, say Foo?

• A class, an even more complex type?

• A pointer to an object of such a complex type?

• Functions?

• Pointer to functions such as void (*foo)(), Foo* (*(bar) (Bar))()?

If you are having difficulties with any of the above concepts, I encourage you to go back to the basics and start learning the C Programming Language in earnest.

Here is a book worth reading: “The C Programming Language, Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie,” from the two great computer scientists and also the creators of C itself (the most beautiful language in the entire Universe, according to me anyway.)

But don’t just read; practice, and lots of practice.

It’s ok, I’m here to learn.

Lets see…
I understand the basic concepts as taught in the previous chapters but not thoroughly as a seasoned programmer would.
If I think I don’t understand a concept, I back track & research just enough to answer the question.

I have the book that you mentioned but digesting that from cover to cover would set me back many, many months.
By the time I begin reading BNR Objective C again, iOS7 might be available then :smiley:

[quote]

• Primitive types such as a char, int, float, etc? - Yes

• A pointer to an object of a primitive type such as a float? - Yes

• Packing primitive types, in a struct, to derive a complex type, say Foo? - No

• A class, an even more complex type? - Yes

• A pointer to an object of such a complex type? - Yes

• Functions? - Yes

• Pointer to functions such as void (foo)(), Foo (*(bar) (Bar))()? - No[/quote]

I’ll re-read this chapter again & get back here if I need clarification or have questions not answered in this forum.