IllegalStateException with Froyo api 8

Everything appeared to be working fine until I started to add some crimes on my Froyo 2.2 emulator. The first one is added, then after pressing Add for the second one this error occurs:

[code]FATAL EXCEPTION: main

java.lang.IllegalStateException: The content of the adapter has changed but ListView did not receive a notification. Make sure the content of your adapter is not modified from a background thread, but only from the UI thread. [in ListView(16908298, class android.widget.ListView) with Adapter(class com.bignerdranch.android.criminalintent.CrimeListFragment$CrimeAdapter)]
[/code]

To check if I had made a mistake I imported ‘17_FileIO_CriminalIntent’ from the source download and ran this on the emulator. It gives me the same error.

Can anyone please help?

Make sure the your CrimeListFragment updates its list content in onResume(). There should be a listing in the chapter on Fragment Arguments entitled “Reloading the list in onResume()” that contains this code.

I have this code in CrimeListFragment…

@Override public void onResume() { super.onResume(); ((CrimeAdapter) getListAdapter()).notifyDataSetChanged(); }

…but the downloaded source has this instead…

@Override public void onActivityResult(int requestCode, int resultCode, Intent data) { ((CrimeAdapter)getListAdapter()).notifyDataSetChanged(); }

Both projects give the same error. Are you able to reproduce this on api 8? I don’t have the problem on api 17 emulator.

You are correct. I’m able to replicate this in the solution as well.

The fix is to add an additional call to notifyDataSetChanged in onOptionsItemSelected:

@TargetApi(11)
    @Override
    public boolean onOptionsItemSelected(MenuItem item) {
        switch (item.getItemId()) {
            case R.id.menu_item_new_crime:
                Crime crime = new Crime();
                CrimeLab.get(getActivity()).addCrime(crime);
                ((CrimeAdapter)getListAdapter()).notifyDataSetChanged();

Intent i = new Intent(getActivity(), CrimeActivity.class);
                i.putExtra(CrimeFragment.EXTRA_CRIME_ID, crime.getId());
                startActivityForResult(i, 0);
                return true;

} 
    }

I’ll add an item to the errata.

Brilliant! Thank you for sorting that out so quickly. BTW, should the solution use onResume() rather than onActivityResult() for notifyDataSetChanged() ?

It should use onResume().

Excellent! Chapter 18 here I come :sunglasses: