Intent Constructor

Hi

Im a little confused by the need to specify the activity name in the creation of the intent.

the contstructor we are using is:

public Intent(Context packageContext, Class<?> cls)

which means which package and which class ??

The code in the book is :

Intent i = new Intent(QuizActivity.this, CheatActivity.class);
startActivity(i);

Why can’t I use Intent i = new Intent([color=#0000FF]this[/color], CheatActivity.class); ?? as “A Context as its first parameter (this is used because the Activity class is a subclass of Context)”.

For example, developer.android.com/training/b … ivity.html only uses ‘this’ as the Context rather than ‘ActivityName.this’.

Try it yourself - you will see that it doesn’t work. This is because the code in the book is within an anonymous inner class. If you used this code instead:

Intent i = new Intent(this, CheatActivity.class); startActivity(i);

It will not compile, because “this” is an instance of View.OnClickListener, not Context.

That makes total sense, I forgot that I was inside an anonymous class.

Thank you for the very fast response. This book is great!

Hi,

You said: “The Context object tells the ActivityManager which package the Class object can be found in.” (pag.100). Why cannot use ‘CheatActivity.this’ instead of ‘QuizActivity.this’ for ‘packageContext’ parameter?

Thank you,

Madalin

You can. Any Context that lives in your package will work.

(I can’t think of a situation when you’d have a Context that wouldn’t be in your package, by the way.)

[quote=“Madalin”]Hi,

You said: “The Context object tells the ActivityManager which package the Class object can be found in.”

Madalin[/quote]

I am confused about this statement in the book. The Class object has a getPackage() function that returns the package the Class belongs too. See: docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/ap … etPackage(

I don’t understand why ActivityManager needs a context for the purpose stated above.