iOS 5 and MapView

So, I decided that I wanted to test out some of the features of iOS 5, but I waited until I finished the book to do so (to avoid the templates issue). I am now going back through the book and trying some of the challenges I skipped earlier. I just loaded my Whereami app onto my iOS 5-based iPad 2 and where I should see a map, it just says “No images” tiled over the backdrop. If I try in the simulator using iOS 5, it loads with the same missing map, but I get the following message in the console: Applications are expected to have a root view controller at the end of application launch. Now, since this particular app has no UIViewController objects, I’m not sure what to set as the root view controller. I suppose I could create a new class that subclasses UIViewController, generate the xib for it and put the MKMapView on that view, then use [[self window] setRootViewController:myNewViewController?

If I try running in the simulator using iOS 4.3, the application crashes before launching, with an unrecognized selector [UIImage initWithCoder:]. We’re not sending that message anywhere, so I figured it had something to do with a method that got deprecated between iOS 4 and iOS 5?

Anyways, I’d love to start these challenges, so if anyone knows how to get my map back, that’d be great.

Note: I know the short answer would be go back to XCode 4.1 and iOS 4.3, but…I’d like a solution to the current situation, please :slight_smile:

It seems that you need to define a root view controller in iOS 5. Check out these links for a simple implementation:

mumuen.com/2011/09/applicati … -root.html

cupsofcocoa.com/2011/09/24/the-jungle-part-1/

Hope that helps