ItemsViewController as the table view's delegate

On page 230 of the 3rd edition, the 3rd paragraph down states that the ItemsViewController (object) is the table view’s delegate. My question is: Is this true because ItemsViewController inherits from TableViewController, which conforms to UITableViewDelegate? I don’t see any explicit setDelegate (as has appeared in earlier chapters), so I’m wondering if the default value for the delegate property is the object that’s doing the conforming. [Apologies for this simple question - I’m trying the best I can to understand the model]

It is not because the ItemsViewController conforms to UITableViewDelegate, that simply says the ItemsViewController CAN be the delegate of a UITableVIew.

Instead, it is because of the default implementation of loadView for ItemsViewController’s superclass, UITableViewController, which looks like this:

- (void)loadView
{
      UITableView *tv = [[UITableView alloc] initWithStyle:[self style]];
      [self setView:tv];
       [tv setDelegate:self];
      [tv setDataSource:self];
}

Thanks, Joe. I’ve looked at the UITableViewController doc, and since loadView: wasn’t there, it apparently is inherited from UIViewController. Please forgive another novice question, but where did you find the code for the default implementation of loadView: that is apparently implemented in UITableViewController? I suppose what I’m really asking, is where would I look to find this, so I could actually verify the setting of the delegate property.

We can’t directly see Apple’s code, but we can infer what is going on from the documentation. In the ‘Overview’ section of the UITableViewController documentation, there is this snippet: