Manually Switching First Responder Status Between Views

Following the code provided in this chapter, shaking the device will change the stroke color from light gray to red - but only, it seems, for the first instance of the view. For example, when exploring UIScrollView by placing two identical instances of the view side-by-side, shaking the device will change the circles to red on the first view (i.e., the one at origin 0,0), but not the second view (i.e., the one at origin [screenRect.size.width], 0). Clearly this occurs because that first view is set as the first responder in the code. However, how would I get around this? If I wanted the shake to change BOTH views (i.e. have a motion event affect two objects simultaneously), how could I do this?

If I do this:

[code] // try to make first view the first responder; log
BOOL success = [view becomeFirstResponder];
if (success)
{
NSLog(@“First HypnosisView became first responder”);
}
else
{
NSLog(@“Could not become first responder”);
}

// make the second view the first responder; log
BOOL successTwo = [anotherView becomeFirstResponder];
if (successTwo)
{
    NSLog(@"Second HypnosisView became first responder");
}
else
{
    NSLog(@"Could not become first responder");
}[/code]

That simply changes the first responder to the second view, in which case, the second view turns red, but the first does not. A Google search along the lines of “set first responder to multiple views” proved fruitless. Any thoughts?

Incidentally, I tried (separately) creating an enum and an NSArray of the two views, and tried setting the resulting list to be the first responder. That caused all sorts of problems.

Possible solutions:

• Have the view receiving the shake-events send out a notification that other views can act on.
  • Get your AppDelegate to receive device-orientation notifications to inform the relevant views of the shake events.

See:

• NSNotificationCenter Class Reference
  • UIDevice Class Reference

I am wondering the same thing.

Understanding MVC might shed some light. The next chapter enters into View Controllers and in that design pattern a controller could switch responder status between views. Views ideally would not talk to each other as to not rely on each other but a controller can talk to multiple views.

Not a solution but just a theory.