Most Painful Challenge So Far

Have to say this was the most painful challenge so far even with the help from folks on this forum. I just didn’t really understand from the challenge text in the book what the listview would do for me. Also it seems to me from the text that there is a solution in which you do NOT have to make a layout that specifies both the ListView and the empty view according to the text but I don’t know what it would be (please feel free to straighten me out!) and have not seen it up here either.

Remember that the goal of the Challenges is to step outside of the safe territory we delineate in the book. In most cases, that’s not too difficult to deal with. In some cases like this one, though, you’ll find behavior that is a little counterintuitive or poorly documented. This isn’t fun, but it is part of the reality of Android development.

Situations like this are why we want to make the Challenges even better in the next edition of the book. So we appreciate the feedback. We don’t want to sugarcoat reality, but hopefully we can give you a better idea of what you’re up against.