My challenge solution

I’m sure its pretty similar to everyone else’s solution, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing anything crazy wrong. My hope is to write as compactly as possible while leaving good documentation.

[code]int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{

// Create and declare the two variables
float firstValue = 3.14;
float secondValue = 42.01;

// Create a new variable of type double and give it the value of the first float plus the second float
double combinedValue = firstValue + secondValue;

// Give user the two float values and the new double value
printf("%.2f plus %.2f equals %.2f \n", firstValue, secondValue, combinedValue);

//End program
return 0;

}[/code]

Looks good. Mine was the same but I used a float instead of a double. It is generally a good habit to use variable types of the smallest size possible to conserve memory.

You can do away with those comments stating the obvious and thus not providing any useful information:

Comment stating the obvious:

float firstValue = 3.14;

Much better to comment on why you are making those declarations, and on the choice of numbers:

// Start with two randomly chosen real numbers
float firstValue = 3.14;

// Create a new variable of type double and give it the value of the first float plus the second float

Much better to state why you are adding them:

// Combine them linearly

Good point, I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.

[quote=“ibex10”]You can do away with those comments stating the obvious and thus not providing any useful information:

float firstValue = 3.14;

Much better to comment on why you are making those declarations, and on the choice of numbers:

// Start with two randomly chosen real numbers
float firstValue = 3.14;

Much better to state why you are adding them:

// Combine them linearly double combinedValue = firstValue + secondValue; [/quote]

That does seem more helpful, or at least adding the why in the meantime. I’m sure if I’m looking at some old code I’m more likely to forget “why” I did somehting, then exactly what it is doing. Thanks!

I did the same thing. I’m just having trouble with printf.

I understand how to implement it, but the %.2f doesn’t make sense to me and I didn’t see it directly referenced in the chapter. It’s obvious it’s a place holder for the variable listed at the end of the string, but why %.2f?

Thanks for the help!

[quote=“southwest”]I did the same thing. I’m just having trouble with printf.

I understand how to implement it, but the %.2f doesn’t make sense to me and I didn’t see it directly referenced in the chapter. It’s obvious it’s a place holder for the variable listed at the end of the string, but why %.2f?

Thanks for the help![/quote]

.2 is telling the code to only print the numbers upto 2 decimal places, so in this case 3.14 and 42.01 and 45.15. You can remove the .2 and leave it as %f and the result will show as 3.140000000 or replace .2 for .1 and result will be 3.1 … So on.

Hope this clarifies, just try editing the code and you will see.