My edition seems to be a mutant

I’m sure I’m just terribly confused, but…I have a copy of iOS Programming 3rd Edition, printed March, 2012. My XCODE is 3.2.6. Beginning with chapter 1
The New project Dialog is different from the one in the book. In particular, the book talks about Single View Application but the screen offered only View Application (which seemed to fit the same niche)
The new Project did not have either of the QuizViewController files. So I came to the forum as suggested and read where I was supposed to download a virgin Quiz project as use it as a template for all projects. That one also does not have the viewController files. I came back to the forum and under the discussion of Chapter I I see references to Window Based Application, which is not in my edition of the book OR my new project dialog.

I must have missed some important instruction(?)

Why are you still using Xcode 3.2.6? The current release is 4.3.2!

It is worth upgrading to Xcode 4.3.2 if you can; completely ignore all the negative reviews you see on the AppStore (I have a feeling that Microsoft agents are writing those reviews.)

Thanks for the reply. The DMG that I downloaded this week is titled xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_4.3.dmg (also XQuartz-2.7.2.dmg). That’s the one I was pointed to by the developer site. Now after a lot of hunting I see the reason:
"
May 3, 2012 7:47 PM (in response to smackntoss)

access to xcode 4 for snow leopard requires a paid developer account. yet anyone and their dog can download xcode 4.3.2 for lion from the app store. figure that one out.

thanks apple.

"
There doesn’t seem to be a free download for SL. Guess if I want to try out mobile programming I’ll have to look at Android!)