No Arc Checkbox for mac projects

Hi

I’ve been having trouble since I uploaded to xcode 4.2 (for snow leopard) from 4.1… I’m using most recent version of snow leopard …

When I create a new project there is no ‘checkbox’ to select using ARC for the project…
this only happens when I want to create a mac app… if I select one of the Iphone app templates the checkbox for arc is there…

Anyone have same prob or ideas ?

Also, When I open any previous projects and go to build settings and set Objective C Automatic Reference Counting to Yes and then rebuild the program I get a build fail… and error …

Apple Mach-O Linker(id)Error
ld: file not found: /Developer/usr/lib/arc/libarclite_macosx.a
Command /Developer/usr/bin/clang failed with exit code 1

I’m lost here…have tried uninstalling 4.2 and 4.1 using terminal commands and reinstalling but no luck

Any help appreciated thanks

Lenny

Quick Google search reveals cocoabuilder.com/archive/xco … opard.html:

[quote]
"Can I develop applications for Mac OS X with ARC using Snow Leopard?

No. The Snow Leopard version of Xcode 4.2 doesn’t support ARC at all on Mac OS X, because it doesn’t include the 10.7 SDK. Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard does support ARC for iOS though, and Xcode 4.2 for Lion supports both Mac OS X and iOS. This means you need a Lion system to build an ARC application that runs on Snow Leopard."

developer.apple.com/library/mac/ … ningToARC/[/quote]

Thanks, I should have just checked google as you suggested, I’ve spent two days going through the threads on this site and others regarding similar probs.
Lesson learned.

Cheers for the info

Lenny