NSArrayController Behavior

The RaiseMan app works just fine; however, while investigating the NSArray Controller behavior I modified the setEmployees method by adding a couple of NSLog statements to see which route was being followed each time this accessor method was called. I was surprised to find out that a new array is assigned to the employees instance variable of my document object each time an employee is added or removed from the tableView. I had expected that the NSArrayController would simply call the addObject: and removeObject:atIndex: methods on the employees instance variable rather than completely replacing the array each time. Am I missing something here? This seems inefficient.
Thanks for any insight.

Hi all,

I’m also very confused on how this thing works, in the first place. Would really want to understand that stuff before going on with this book.

• Why would the setEmployee method be called once on each Person creation ? Who is calling it, and with what arguments?
  • Where do the creation of a new instance of the Person class and the associated setter methods get called from?From the ArrayController?
  • On page 139 of the printed book it mentions that key-value coding is used for this to work. Could someone explain the timeline of events?

I’m starting to think I’m to old for that stuff :slight_smile:

I would also like to see an answer to BobParker’s question. I would have expected setEmployees to be called once when the array of persons was created, but it gets called every time the Add Employee button is pushed. Why is that? I don’t feel like I ‘get’ this chapter until I can understand this.