NSCoding Persisting UIImage In NerdFeed

I have added thumbnails to the NerdFeed app but it does not persist the image when i use NSCoding methods. Other that that it is persisting everything including title, labels etc.

[code]- (void)encodeWithCoder:(NSCoder *)aCoder
{
[aCoder encodeObject:title forKey:@“title”];
[aCoder encodeObject:link forKey:@“link”];
[aCoder encodeObject:creator forKey:@“creator”];
[aCoder encodeObject:pubDate forKey:@“pubDate”];
[aCoder encodeObject:thumbnail forKey:@“thumbnail”];
}

• (id)initWithCoder:(NSCoder *)aDecoder
    {
    self = [super init];
    if (self)
    {
    [self setTitle:[aDecoder decodeObjectForKey:@“title”]];
    [self setLink:[aDecoder decodeObjectForKey:@“link”]];
    [self setCreator:[aDecoder decodeObjectForKey:@“creator”]];
    [self setPubDate:[aDecoder decodeObjectForKey:@“pubDate”]];
    [self setThumbnail:[aDecoder decodeObjectForKey:@“thumbnail”]];
    }
    return self;
    }[/code]

Do i need to do something extra for persisting the images in NerdFeed app? Thanks

Unrelated but good practice tip.

Consider using identifiers for constants that you use elsewhere, to avoid errors caused by typos.

For example:

// Names for our archiving keys
static NSString *const myArkKeyTitle = @"title";
static NSString *const myArkKeyLink  = @"link";
- (void)encodeWithCoder:(NSCoder *)aCoder
{
    [aCoder encodeObject:title forKey:myArkKeyTitle];
    [aCoder encodeObject:link forKey:myArkKeyLink];
}

- (id)initWithCoder:(NSCoder *)aDecoder
{
    self = [super init];
    if (self)
    {
        [self setTitle:[aDecoder decodeObjectForKey:myArkKeyTitle]];
        [self setLink:[aDecoder decodeObjectForKey:myArkKeyLink]];
     }
    return self;
}

As you said your answer is Unrelated. I would really appreciate if someone can guide me why images are not getting saved while other items are persisting properly.

Thanks

Have you tried logging out the value of thumbnail in both these methods and seeing what it is during runtime?

Its NULL. I guess the problem is not in the encode and decode methods. It might be where i am calling them. Or may be fetchRSSFeedWithCompletion method is not enough to handle images. While titles and other labels are persisting correctly.

Any help would be much appreciated… :confused:

Its NULL. I guess the problem is not in the encode and decode methods. It might be where i am calling them. Or may be fetchRSSFeedWithCompletion method is not enough to handle images. While titles and other labels are persisting correctly.[/quote]
Joe has given you the clue. Have you investigated why you are getting NULL for thumbnail in encodeWithCoder:?

Thats is what i am unable to troubleshoot. I am pulling the images from CDATA section in a separate block in a separate thread and when i log the thumbnail from there, it gives me the memory locations but when i try to log them from encode and decode methods, it gives me NULL and i don’t know why.

Other than that, using the PNG representation also does not work. That is why i am asking for help!

It looks like your image object is being released too soon. Can you post your code, all of it?

I think i have found where exactly is the problem although i am not able to solve it as for now. Below is the CDATA block from where i am picking the images.

[code]-(void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser foundCDATA:(NSData *)CDATABlock
{
dispatch_async(dispatch_get_global_queue(DISPATCH_QUEUE_PRIORITY_DEFAULT, 0), ^{

NSString *someString = [[NSString alloc] initWithData:CDATABlock encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];
NSString *storyImageURL = [self getFirstImageUrl:someString];

NSURL *tempURL = [NSURL URLWithString:storyImageURL];

NSData *tempData = [NSData dataWithContentsOfURL:tempURL];
thumbnail = [UIImage imageWithData];

});

}[/code]

If i use the above code as it is, the images won’t persist. But If i use the code without the dispatch_async block, then it starts persisting the images as well but the UI gets blocked till the whole thing loads up which is not a good practice. How can get the lazy loading without locking the user interface?

I can see that you are using ARC (which may complicate things). But try the following to see if it helps.

First, consider using a property for thumbnail with strong attribute.

@property (strong) UIImage *thumbnail;

Then at the end of the dispatch_async’s block, schedule a request to set the thumbnail on the main thread :

-(void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser foundCDATA:(NSData *)CDATABlock
{
    dispatch_async (dispatch_get_global_queue (DISPATCH_QUEUE_PRIORITY_DEFAULT, 0), ^{

NSString *someString = [[NSString alloc] initWithData:CDATABlock encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];

[self performSelectorOnMainThread:@selector (setThumbnailFromData:) withObject:tempData waitUntilDone:NO];
    });
}

- (void)setThumbnailFromData:(NSData *)data
{
    self.thumbnail = [UIImage imageWithData:data];

// Debug
    NSLog (@"---> %s: %p %p", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__, data, thumbnail);
}

[quote=“ibex10”]I can see that you are using ARC (which may complicate things). But try the following to see if it helps.

First, consider using a property for thumbnail with strong attribute.

@property (strong) UIImage *thumbnail;

Then at the end of the dispatch_async’s block, schedule a request to set the thumbnail on the main thread :

[code]
-(void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser foundCDATA:(NSData *)CDATABlock
{
dispatch_async (dispatch_get_global_queue (DISPATCH_QUEUE_PRIORITY_DEFAULT, 0), ^{

[self performSelectorOnMainThread:@selector (setThumbnailFromData:) withObject:tempData waitUntilDone:NO];
});

}

• (void)setThumbnailFromData:(NSData *)data
    {
    self.thumbnail = [UIImage imageWithData:data];

// Debug
    NSLog (@"—> %s: %p %p", PRETTY_FUNCTION, data, thumbnail);
    }
    [/code][/quote]

Thanks a ton for replying and giving time. I have used the code that you provided but it didn’t work. The result is same. When i use dispatch_asyc or performSelectorOnMainThread, it does not persist images. When i don’t use dispatch_async or performSelectorOnMainThread, then it starts persisting but locks the user interface. Plus the images that are fetched from the web service loads in a weird way. The on screen images does not show up but when i scroll a little then the ones that are not on the screen loads first. Anyways i guess i have to keep on trying

I am still unable to solve this issue :frowning: