One More Question about Singleton

I have read all topics addressing Singleton in this forum, and I can understand why we use super instead of self, why we override allocWithZone and so on. However, I still have one more question about the next code.

defaultStore = [[super allocWithZone:NULL] init];

In the above code, the receiver of “allocWithZone:NULL” is “super.” Therefore, it allocates memory blocks for the super class of PossessionStore class. Do I understand correctly?

If YES, “my concern” is that the amount of memory for the super class must be different from the amount of memory for PossessionStore class. I think that the required memory size of PossessionStore class must be larger than that of the super class, because an instance variable, named allPossessions, is added. I just worry that the memory allocation via the above code may allocate insufficient memory for PossessionStore class.

I know that the code is correct and “my concern” is invalid. However, I don’t know why “my concern” is invalid. Please explain why…

Hi,

As I understand it:

Every method call in ObjC is invoked by a call to objc_msgSend which has a couple of hidden parameters:
The receiving object (self) and the selector for the method _cmd

You can see these in any method with
NSLog(@"_cmd = %@",NSStringFromSelector(_cmd));
NSLog(@“self = %@”,self);

In an instance method, self refers to the actual object but in a class method self refers to the class.

So the call to [super allocWithZone:] is invoked on the superclass (in this case, NSObject) but knows which class to allocate memory for (PossessionStore) from the hidden self parameter and therefore accommodates the additional ivars.

HTH
Gareth

Thank you!!