Outside of method error pg117

Why do i have this error? [quote]Cannot assign to self outside of a method in the init family[/quote]
Error relate to this line of code. [quote]self =[super init][/quote] I’m using Xcode 4.5 iphone simulator 6.0.

[code]#import “BNRMapPoint.h”

@implementation BNRMapPoint
@synthesize coordinate, title;

=(id) initWithCoordinate: (CLLocationCoordinate2D)c title: (NSString *)t
{
self = [super init]; // error here
if(self) {
coordinate = c;
[self setTitle: t];
}
return self;
}

@end [/code];

Looks like you were (touch) typing at maximum speed and whizzed past that syntax error!
(Unless there is new syntax that I am not aware of in the latest and greatest version of the compiler.)

But the error you are getting is a bit strange, given that syntax error. It seems to suggest that you are assigning to self outside of an init… method.

Thanks for your reply. The code is correct on my Xcode compiler. I just mistakenly typed the wrong code here at this post (I should’ve copied and paste but I didn’t) I’m still hoping for an answer concerning my outside method error.

This simple example might help you understand:

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface Foo : NSObject
{
   id _bar;
}
@end

@implementation Foo

- (id)initWithBar:(id)bar
{
    self = [super init];  // Ok here because we are inside a method in the init family
    if (self)
    {
         _bar = bar;
    }
    return self;
}

- (id)resetWithBar:(id)bar
{
    self = [super init]; // Not Ok here because we are not inside a method in the init family
    if (self)
    {
         _bar = bar;
    }
    return self;
}

@end

Ibex thanks for your help! I do understand what you’re saying. I found my error, and "self” was outside the method in the init family because a syntax error. I did not capitalize parts of the selector name correctly, both in the declaration and in the method’s definition. Both had -(id)initwithCoordinate:(CLLocationCoordinate2D c title: (NSString *) t. But the “w” in both should’ve been capitalized like this -(id)intWithCoordinate(CLLocationCoordinate2D c title:(NSString *) Not doing this lead to the “cannot assign to “self” outside of a method in the init family.” Interesting, if the method definition was a lower case “c” as in coordinate, then an incomplete implementation warning would show too (surprising!). Of course I wasn’t getting that warning. I’m not sure what method X-code uses to determine errors but its something to keep in mind when attempting to debug your program. I should’ve been more diligent concerning obvious syntax errors. That is not usually my problem when writing code. By the way, it would’ve been better if I had post my code verbatim (copy and paste); knowing one you guys would’ve spotted my syntax error right away.