Pg. 90: Setting the Targets

For the first example for drawMickey:, where would you place the code? In the init method?

SEL mySelector;
mySelector = @selector(drawMickey:);
[myButton setAction:mySelector];

If you set the target programmatically, do you have to leave the instantiated objects in the NIB unconnected?

Ok, answered my own question. It will not work in the init method. You have to put it into the awakeFromNib: method. Furthermore, for the SpeakLine example, you also have to set the target even though I declared the pointers for the buttons with IBOutlet in the header file and connected the buttons in the NIB.

- (void) awakeFromNib {

// another way to connect to the speakButton and stopButton programatically
	SEL mySelector;

mySelector = @selector(sayIt:);
	[speakButton setTarget:self];
	[speakButton setAction:mySelector];

mySelector = @selector(stopIT:);
	[stopButton  setTarget:self];
	[stopButton  setAction:mySelector];
}

Connecting the action in the NIB is a lot easier.

[quote=“steffenfrost”]Furthermore, for the SpeakLine example, you also have to set the target even though I declared the pointers for the buttons with IBOutlet in the header file and connected the buttons in the NIB.
[/quote]
Ummm…what exactly was connected in the NIB?

It sounds like you connected from the APP CONTROLLER to the BUTTON. This would given you a reference to the button (that is, instantiate the IBOutlets you declared for the buttons) so you could do things like change the label of a button. However, that would NOT do anything to affect what happens when you press the button.

The NIB-equivalent of the code would be control-dragging from the BUTTON to the APP CONTROLLER and selecting sayIt: or stopIT:.

Post deleted, bad info given.