Print out the name of object instance

What would be the best way of printing out the name of an instance variable in the for loop. For instance so output would resemble:

stock1 price: 5000 stock2 price: 2000 stock3 price: 1000 etc..

This very well may be answered later on in the book or very well could have already been answered in the book. I assume I would have to use the idea of self?

You can’t get the name of the variable at runtime. Weird, right? You can get the value of the variable, but not its name or type.

thats very interesting! I just assumed you could based on my limited, beginner knowledge of ruby. Thanks for the reply. Ive learned a lot more from using the message board in conjunction with the book.

Dang wish I would have read that an hour ago. I solved it by creating symbolOfStock for each instance of StockHolding.

Dang wish I would have read that an hour ago. I solved it by creating symbolOfStock for each instance of StockHolding.[/quote]

Yeah, I did the same as mhohman. For anyone wanting to have the name of the stock show when they iterate through the array, it is very satisfying :slight_smile: , here is how I did it.

Add the instance variable NSString *stockName; and @property NSString *stockName; to the StockHolding.h file

then add @synthesize stockName; to your StockHolding.m file

once in main when you are creating instances of StockHolding you can add your new instance variable to the mix [code] @autoreleasepool {

StockHolding *Apple = [[StockHolding alloc]init];

[Apple setPurchasedSharePrice:100.0];
    [Apple setCurrentSharePrice:602.17];
    [Apple setNumberOfShares:32];
    [Apple setStockName:@"Apple"];[/code]

and to get it to print when intreating through the array, I did this NSUInteger stockscount = [stocks count]; for (int i = 0; i < stockscount; i++) { StockHolding *x = [stocks objectAtIndex:i]; NSString *q = [x stockName]; float z = [x valueInDollars]; float y = [x costInDollars]; float w = [x valueInDollars] - [x costInDollars]; NSLog(@"Here is what %@ cost me %.2f, this is what is worth now %.2f, and this is how much I have made from %@ %.2f",q, y, z, q, w); }

I’m sure there is a more efficient way to do this but it was a fun journey and so much more rewarding to see the stock names in the log.

and just for the record, I wish I had 32 shares of apple stock :slight_smile: but I do not.