Problem creating first app

I just started reading this book because i hear it is good for learning android when you already know programming basics.

I am making my first app (the GeoQuiz) and am following the instructions, but when i finally get around to creating the project, there is no layout or acitivty created! But i chose for it to create an activity. Also it automatically generates some project callled appcompat_v7 in my workspace…

How exactly am i supposed to proceed? I have provided screenshots of what i did to create the project (note that i have downloaded all the current sdk’s up to android 4.4 L preview). Notice there is no “navigation type” selection either on my creation wizard.

can you copy paste for me your AndroidManifest.xml found in the root of your project directory?

check out the node it should read as follows:

If your problem still persist and you are sure you are having integer values, then make sure to clean up the project go :
project > clean

I had this problem. i deleted the project then restarted eclipse and recreated the project and it was fixed.

I’ve been struggling with the same problem the whole day, trying to re-install the SDK and eclipse on my Mac several times and nothing worked out.
Finally I decided to make an “empty activity” in stead of a blank one, and it made it.

Just in case someone else goes throw the same and other solutions won’t work as it was happening to me. :smiley:

[quote=“xiarnousx”]can you copy paste for me your AndroidManifest.xml found in the root of your project directory?

check out the node it should read as follows:

If your problem still persist and you are sure you are having integer values, then make sure to clean up the project go :
project > clean[/quote]

I deleted the project and also deleted all the sdks and re installed everything, the problem persisted, so i deleted everything again, sorry i dont have the manifest.

One thing i did notice though:
Making a new project with an empty activity instead of blank activity seemed to fix the problem, but i don’t know if there is a big difference between empty and blank that will make it harder to continue with the tutorial later. After all in the description the blank activity seems to include an action bar and the empty one does not.

Lastly, since android studio is up and coming and soon to be the official IDE of android, is there a big issue if i try to use that instead. I understand that theoretically i should be able to do everything in android studio but does the book focus a lot on the IDE itself? If i just continue with android studio would it be a big issue as i progress?

I experienced the same problem. “Blank Activity” does not create activity_quiz.xml, but “Empty Activity” does.
Eclipse JDT 3.8.2.v20130116…
Eclipse Platform 4.2.1.v20130118…