Problem with listing 35.7

Two problems:

1. It tells me I need API 11 at least

2. I get an error on the onCreateLoader method:

public Loader<Run> onCreateLoader(int id, Bundle args) {
			return new RunLoader(getActivity(), args.getLong(ARG_RUN_ID));
		}

Comparing my solution to the one in the download, I see that the difference is in the imports. I had:

The download has:

Which leads to a question:

Can I tell Eclipse to favor the support.v4 (or v13, now that it’s available) over the standard library when they have the same class names?

I have noticed that when I cut/paste code from another project that Eclipse automatically inserts the imports without asking. I just found that if you open the Preferences window, and go to

[color=#800000]Java -> Editor -> Typing [/color]

there is a checkbox under [color=#0000FF]When Pasting[/color] that says [color=#0000FF]Update imports[/color]. I am going to uncheck this and see what happens…

I think you’ve actually got this well in hand, it seems like. Everything you’ve said is spot on.

Let me know if I can provide any additional help.

Did you ever solve this problem? I am getting the exact same issue.

@Override public Loader<Run> onCreateLoader(int id, Bundle args) { return new RunLoader(getActivity(), args.getLong(ARG_RUN_ID)); }

…gives an error that says “cannot convert from RunLoader to Loader”

I get the same thing a few lines later when trying to implement the LocationLoaderCallbacks. “cannot convert from LastLocationLoader to Loader”

I’ve checked my imports and tried a few small things. Maybe I’ve just been staring at it too long.

I’have the same issue that elliott has. What can be the solution for this ?

@Override
	public Loader<Cursor> onCreateLoader(int id, Bundle args) {
		// TODO Auto-generated method stub
		long runId=args.getLong(ARG_RUN_ID,-1);
		return new LocationListCursorLoader(getActivity(),runId);
	}

also in this line it says: “Type mismatch: cannot convert from LocationListCursorLoader to Loader” what can be done for this ? any ideas…

Just make sure and verify that your imports are correct: they should always have the support library Loader imported, not android.app.Loader. Check all the classes in your project, too, not just the one where you’re seeing the error.

I’m sorry but I don’t think it’s just the imports. I’ve gone through all of the classes in my application and am still getting the above error.

It’s worth noting that I’m using this as a textbook for a university course and all of my students are getting the same error.

I’m at the point where I am going to start copying and pasting my code into the provided solution (which works) to try to track down the difference(s) that is causing this issue. I won’t be able to do that for a few days, but I wanted to report back.

I had the same problem and tracked it down to an different import mistake.

In DataLoader.java, Eclipse imported:
import android.content.AsyncTaskLoader;
should be:
import android.support.v4.content.AsyncTaskLoader;

@Stever: I had the same issue, and your solution resolved it. Thank you.

@Elliot: Although I assume you’ve resolved this issue in the intervening year since this thread was last active… Should you find yourself in a similar situation in the future, and need to compare two files, Eclipse will do this automatically. Select two files (ctrl+click in Linux, something else in MacOS), right click, and in the resulting menu select “compare->to each other”… That’s not really a direct solution to your problem, but maybe an easy shortcut for next time.

-AB