Programming beginner

Few weeks ago I decided to learn how to program but I didn’t know where I should begin. I’ve always liked mac and iOS applications so I thought it would be great to learn objective-C to try to “enter” programming world (btw I’m 20 years old but I don’t study or do anything related to computers).

I’m in the Event-Driven applications chapter and done every challenge so far (having cheated in one which I had to look another user’s answer to realize what was wrong with mine). I think I’ve understood most of what I’ve read but I’m still pretty confused about this whole programming stuff. I don’t know if I’m at the wrong place and should learn a more basic language or just need to focus a little more on this book. I know this is only the first step but I’d like to know if I’m going in the right direction.

P.S. English is my second language so please bear with me.

Keep going. Do the iPhone and the Mac applications (just a couple of more chapters) and it may start to make more sense.

Teaching the language without much context is difficult. Now you know enough of the language where we can start to give it some context, and then it should make more sense. If it doesn’t, try going back to the beginning and just scanning/rereading what you’ve read. You probably know more than you think you do, and reviewing what is behind you make help the whole make more sense.

P.S. Your english is excellent. (I’m trying to learn some Spanish, and it is very difficult for me.)

Thanks for the reply! I will finish the book and try to reread important chapters to get a general sense of what I should do after. Probably will buy BNR iOS book since this one is quite understandable and have an active useful forum. Thanks for the compliment I really need my english skills to learn how to program. I might be biased (since is my native language) but spanish isn’t that difficult, just need a good amount of practice.