Question of the sharedStore method

Hi,

I have a question regarding the sharedStore method in the BNRItemStore class.

I noticed at the start the definition of the method, the sharedStore static variable will be assigned the value nil, I am wondering if every time the method is called, will the variable sharedStore be set to nil?

• (BNRItemStore *)sharedStore
    {
    [color=#FF0000]static BNRItemStore *sharedStore = nil; [/color]
    if (!sharedStore) {
    sharedStore = [[super allocWithZone:nil] init];
    }
    return sharedStore;
    }

Thanks

No. static objects are initialised only once even if they appear inside a method:

+ (BNRItemStore *)sharedStore
{
    static BNRItemStore *sharedStore = nil; 
    if (!sharedStore) {
    }
    return sharedStore;
}

The very first time sharedStore method is is invoked [color=#FF0000]sharedStore[/color] static local variable’s value will be nil; thereafter, it won’t be after being set inside the body of the if statement.

Thanks a lot!

[quote=“ibex10”][quote]
… at the start the definition of the method, the sharedStore static variable will be assigned the value nil, I am wondering if every time the method is called, will the variable sharedStore be set to nil?
[/quote]
No. static objects are initialised only once even if they appear inside a method:

{
    if (!sharedStore) {
    }
    return sharedStore;
}

The very first time sharedStore method is is invoked [color=#FF0000]sharedStore[/color] static local variable’s value will be nil; thereafter, it won’t be after being set inside the body of the if statement.[/quote]

[quote=“ibex10”][quote]
… at the start the definition of the method, the sharedStore static variable will be assigned the value nil, I am wondering if every time the method is called, will the variable sharedStore be set to nil?
[/quote]

{
    if (!sharedStore) {
    }
    return sharedStore;
}

The very first time sharedStore method is is invoked [color=#FF0000]sharedStore[/color] static local variable’s value will be nil; thereafter, it won’t be after being set inside the body of the if statement.[/quote]

I guess I have a possible dumb question on my side to tag along in this area… but how does !sharedStore result to a true or false of whether it exists or not?

nil is defined as 0: (0 == nil) == true and (!0 == nil) == false

Two cases to consider:
Case 1: Shared store does not exist: (sharedStore == nil) == (nil == nil) == (0 == nil) == true
Case 2: Shared store does exist: (sharedStore == nil) == (!nil == nil) == (!0 == nil) == false

[quote=“ibex10”]nil is defined as 0: (0 == nil) == true and (!0 == nil) == false

Two cases to consider:
Case 1: Shared store does not exist: (sharedStore == nil) == (nil == nil) == (0 == nil) == true
Case 2: Shared store does exist: (sharedStore == nil) == (!nil == nil) == (!0 == nil) == false[/quote]

Thanks for that. I’ve worked with NULL soo many times and have been told it’s NOT 0 and not the same as 0. Having that placed in my head, I saw nil and that’s what popped in my mind. It just took a short google to realize that initializing to nil is initializing to 0.

It took me a while to understand this (as usual) but eventually I grasped that the =nil is not an assignment, it is purely an initialization. Once it is initialized, it is initialized, that’s done and the statement has basically been “used”. I mean that 's the way someone like me with little computing background understood it.

Yes, you could potentially send init to BNRItemStore multiple times. Yes, you could defensively code around the init method to make sure this doesn’t happen. In practice, I wouldn’t worry about it. If I were shipping a library that I intended for people to use (aka, use without reading the documentation), I’d probably worry about it.

Sorry I’m dense but if it’s been initialized and then sharedStore runs again, why doesn’t the first line set sharedStore to nil again?

Thanks for this post, even if it´s little old. So basically the first line of the method is ignored the other times when the method is running?