Questions about why (no) NSURLConnectionDelegate Protocol

Three questions really…

1. Why don’t we have ListViewController.h conform to NSURLConnectionDelegate protocol?
  2. Also I noticed that the NSURLConnectionDelegate Protocol is different for OS X (v10.7 and later) and for iOS (5.0 and later). The connection:didReceiveData: is listed under the protocol reference for OS X (as required), but not for iOS. Is this a case of where the protocol just hasn’t caught up with the connection implementation?
  3. Finally, why don’t we set these delegates to nil in the dealloc: method of ListViewController.h?

1. Probably because all methods from NSURLConnectionDataDelegate and NSURLConnectionDelegate are optional.

1. Probably should, I think that may have been an accidental omission.

2. Yeah, there are now three protocols for NSURLConnection: NSURLConnectionDownloadDelegate, NSURLConnectionDataDelegate and NSURLConnectionDelegate.

The first is for streaming the data to disk, the second to memory and the third is a “abstract base protocol” that the first two “inherit” from, i.e., the common methods to both.

1. Oddly enough, an NSURLConnection actually keeps a strong reference to its delegate. The controllers won’t ever be deallocated while the connections live.

Given that we have not declared that ListViewController conforms to NSURLConnectionDelegate protocol, why does having the ListViewController pass itself for a NSURLConnectionDelegate parameter not generate an error?

To be more specific, I’m referring to the following line on page 442:

Is declaring that a class conforms to a protocol unnecessary if the methods in the protocol are all optional? That would seem odd.

I found that Xcode would auto-complete if I declared the delegate, but would not if I did not (as expected). But, yeah, it works without the declaration.

The fourth edition does have the declaration in the new Chapter 21.

I guess we can look at it this way, if you declare yourself a delegate, you must implement all the non-optional methods. But, since NSURLConnectionDelegate doesn’t have any non-optional methods, anything can be an NSURLConnectionDelegate.

-Craig