Reaching 'The End'

Well, I’ve reached ‘The End’. (This is not the end, nor even the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps the end of the beginning!) The book has made it an enjoyable as well as an educational journey. (I particularly like the ‘hands-on’ nature of the book, with small but almost-realistic examples, and that the chapters are not over-long.) My thanks to Aaron and Adam for writing the book, and to Adam and others for answering questions in this forum.

I’ve worked through the book and the challenges over about three months, making a start in the Christmas vacation but doing little in January. I’ve had XCode 4.2.1 and XCode 4.3 crash on me a few times (and have reported the crashes to Apple). I’ve tangled with Cocoa Autolayout and seen the changes to XCode that this has involved. I’d previously started to work through the 3rd edition of the book, but not finished that before switching to the 4th edition soon after it was released. I can see that a 5th edition will be necessary to keep up with Apple’s changes!

I’m looking forward to ‘More Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X’. I hope that it has much to say about design patterns with Cocoa, with an emphasis on good large-scale design. In the meantime, I’ll work through some of Apple’s example programs while I’m experimenting with some applications of my own.