Recommendation for book to read after Big Nerd Ranch Android

I’m getting close (Chapter 33 but I did skip a few chapters :slight_smile:) to finishing the Android Programming book by Phillips and Hardy and wondering what to look at next? I’m sure that when they give the live course they must have some slides on “where to go from here”. Which advanced books or sites would the authors (and others) recommend? In my own case, I’m interested in writing some games and graphical apps so I was thinking I should study more about graphics and animation. With iOS, a version of openGL seems to be all the rage. How about with Android?

To be more specific without giving away my ideas, suppose I wanted to produce a game like the classic missile command game. Any tutorials or books out there dealing with that. I realize that quite likely, one doesn’t need openGL for this.

Thanks,

Dave

In iOS you have COCOS2D to make simple games like that without using Open GL , don’t know about android alternative.

Hey David,

I asked Rod Strougo, our gaming guru. Here’s what he had to say:

[quote]I’ve been teaching a iOS class, so sorry on the delay in getting back to you.
I would recommend Cocos2D-X for Android

cocos2d-x.org

It is using C++ and runs on Android. Quite a few of the top Android games (at least overseas) are made with Cocos2D-X.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a high quality book release on Cocos2D-X. And of course it’s in C++, so there’s that.

Another option may be this book, which comes highly recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Android-Games-Mario-Zechner/dp/1430230428/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Whatever you do, you’ll find that games programming is a different world from the work you did in our Guide. Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendations. Note for any one following this post later on…
Mario Zechner has various books called “Beginning Android Game…” As of this post, the most recent edition seems to be from November of 2012. See:
amazon.com/Beginning-Android … 078&sr=1-4

I know it’s kind of early given the recent release of Android Programming but is there any chance BNR will release an advanced Android book (or bootcamp)? :smiley: Oh please, oh please. :smiley:

[quote=“phillips”]Hey David,

I asked Rod Strougo, our gaming guru. Here’s what he had to say:

[quote]I’ve been teaching a iOS class, so sorry on the delay in getting back to you.
I would recommend Cocos2D-X for Android

cocos2d-x.org

It is using C++ and runs on Android. Quite a few of the top Android games (at least overseas) are made with Cocos2D-X.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a high quality book release on Cocos2D-X. And of course it’s in C++, so there’s that.

Another option may be this book, which comes highly recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Android-Games-Mario-Zechner/dp/1430230428/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Whatever you do, you’ll find that games programming is a different world from the work you did in our Guide. Good luck![/quote]

We’re flattered at the inquiry! An advanced class/book isn’t in the works right now, though.

If you e-mail somebody at our site saying you want such a thing, I can’t promise that Advanced Android will happen. I can promise that someone will read it, though.

Oh ok. I will be sure to shoot that email in the near future. :smiley: Thanks a lot for the hard work on the book! It’s helped me immensly by leaps and bounds in Android and other programming concepts. I know for sure that the strong foundation from this book will help guide me to learn more advanced topics in the near future, even if an advanced book/class isn’t in the plans for now. Good job, Bill & Brian!