Recommendation for Challenges in the Future

I’ve been frustrated in recent challenges, especially this one with too many new concepts introduced in the challenge itself. The purpose of an exercise following instruction is to reinforce the instruction delivered in the chapter. In this particular challenge, in my opinion, throwing in NSDATECOMPONENTS and NSCALENDAR code with little explanation just frustrates the learner - it sure frustrated me

Hi,

agree. Up to now the book is an excellent guide for beginners. Starting in Chapter objects more and more code pieces are added without explanation (see exercise 12.5):

Why do we have double brackets around [[NSDateComponents alloc] init] ? what is alloc ? why is init there ? I can probably gess the rigth answers, but that is not the purpose of a lesson, the more as documented solutions are nowhere offered.

Following

NSCalendar *g =[[NSCalendar alloc] initWithCalendarIdentifer:NSGregorianCalendar]; What ? What does this all mean and why is it there ?
The next chapter explains it possibly, but f I get an exercise, I expect from myself, that I should be in a position to write the code completely alone.

This is, in fact, frustrating, please reconsider how to lay out tasks in your exercises.

Thanks.

[quote=“klauskloeser”]Hi,

agree. Up to now the book is an excellent guide for beginners. Starting in Chapter objects more and more code pieces are added without explanation (see exercise 12.5):

Why do we have double brackets around [[NSDateComponents alloc] init] ? what is alloc ? why is init there ? I can probably gess the rigth answers, but that is not the purpose of a lesson, the more as documented solutions are nowhere offered.

Following

NSCalendar *g =[[NSCalendar alloc] initWithCalendarIdentifer:NSGregorianCalendar]; What ? What does this all mean and why is it there ?
The next chapter explains it possibly, but f I get an exercise, I expect from myself, that I should be in a position to write the code completely alone.

This is, in fact, frustrating, please reconsider how to lay out tasks in your exercises.

Thanks.[/quote]
hehe same questions same problem !! I know language C , Java , PHP OO and J2EE … but didn’t understand the OOP of Objective-C how it works ! hope next chapters make things more clear , and hope some one help us to understand the new syntax in the challenge …

Annonces en Tunisie

100% agree with the above. I would have also liked to see more time (illustrations) class/object/instance hierarchy