Recommended system specs for Android development?

Hi all,

What system specs do you recommend for app development? I’m just starting out, and I’m using a computer with 4GB of RAM, but each time I run my virtual device to test my app, it takes a reallllllly long time and slows down my other processes as well. In addition, the virtual device has slow response time. It takes a while to react to my clicks. Is this because I don’t have enough RAM? Is there a faster way to test my apps?

[quote=“Ataraxia”]Hi all,

What system specs do you recommend for app development? I’m just starting out, and I’m using a computer with 4GB of RAM, but each time I run my virtual device to test my app, it takes a reallllllly long time and slows down my other processes as well. In addition, the virtual device has slow response time. It takes a while to react to my clicks. Is this because I don’t have enough RAM? Is there a faster way to test my apps?[/quote]

I realise it has been a long time since your post but If you’re still looking for the answers then I have some of them for you.

The first time I started learning android development, was on a notebook with 1gb of ram. It was very slow when it came to using the emulator but luckily I had an actual android device I could test on that made things much, much quicker. I am now using a macbook pro with 8gb of ram and the emulator, still runs slow as hell, with a laggy interface like you mention.

I don’t actually believe there is a computer in which the emulator will run well on as the only difference in speed I’ve noticed from upgrading my laptop is the load times. On my 1gb ram notebook it was about 10 minutes, now its is usually 1-2 minutes.

So if you have a physical android device to test on, I’d recommend using that as it is so simple and fast! If you don’t however, there is another option which is another emulator called “Genymotion” its a 3rd party application that can be used in place of the emulator and I found it is amazingly fast. I don’t want to go into the details of how to install it here, but there are many guides on how to install it if you search google, or youtube. Here is the link: https://www.genymotion.com/

Hopefully this is useful for you…Happy coding!