audioRecorder is declared in MediaPlayerViewController.h:

AVAudioRecorder *audioRecorder;
	IBOutlet UIButton *recordButton;     // Button for recording audio

and declared an IBAction:

- (IBAction)recordSound:(id)sender;

In MediaPlayerViewController.m:

in -(void)viewDidLoad:

// Set up the audio recorder

NSString *filenameWithPath = [[NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSDocumentDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES) objectAtIndex:0] stringByAppendingString:@"recorded.mp3"];
	NSURL *recordFilenameWithURL = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:filenameWithPath];

NSMutableDictionary *recorderSettings = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] init];

NSNumber *sampleRate = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithFloat:441000.0];
	NSNumber *channels = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:1];
	NSNumber *audioFormat = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:kAudioFormatMPEGLayer3];
	NSNumber *audioQuality = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:AVAudioQualityMax];
	NSNumber *audioBitRate = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:128];

[recorderSettings setObject:audioFormat forKey:AVFormatIDKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:sampleRate forKey:AVSampleRateKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:channels forKey:AVNumberOfChannelsKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:audioQuality forKey:AVEncoderAudioQualityKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:audioBitRate forKey:AVEncoderBitRateKey];

audioRecorder = [[AVAudioRecorder alloc] initWithURL:recordFilenameWithURL settings:recorderSettings error:NULL];  // This line currently returns NIL

I’ve added a button with Interface Builder, and linked it to recordSound, which is below:

-(IBAction)recordSound:(id)sender
{
	BOOL error;

if ([audioRecorder isRecording]) {
		[audioRecorder stop];
		[recordButton setTitle:@"Record Sound" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
		[recordButton setTitleColor:[UIColor colorWithRed:0 green:0 blue:0 alpha:1] forState:UIControlStateNormal];

} else {
		error = [audioRecorder prepareToRecord];

if (error=[audioRecorder record]) {
			[recordButton setTitle:@"Recording.  Tap to stop" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
			[recordButton setTitleColor:[UIColor colorWithRed:1 green:0 blue:0 alpha:1] forState:UIControlStateNormal];
		}
	}
}

I’ve traced my problem to where I initialize audioRecorder - the line returns NIL, so clearly there’s a problem with it.

Is my problem
(a) with how and/or where my path to the datafile is? (Documents)
(b) with the recorderSettings dictionary?
© Somewhere else?

Hi,

On the right track but unfortunately iOS doesn’t have a built in mp3 recording codec only a playback one.

See the Codecs chapter in http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/MusicAudio/Conceptual/CoreAudioOverview/CoreAudioEssentials/CoreAudioEssentials.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003577-CH10-SW5

Try it with kAudioFormatAppleIMA4 and a .caf extension.

You probably meant 44100 for the sample rate and use stringByAppendingPathComponent instead of stringByAppendingString:@“recorded.mp3” as you’ll get “Documentsrecorded.mp3” otherwise.

Gareth

Yep, Gareth, that was it. All I needed to do after making that change was initialize a local audio player and play the sound back after stopping recording.

I’m puzzled on this one. For some reason, I cannot get the audio recorder to work - even after pattering it after the changes mentioned in the above posts.

Here’s what happens. If I tap the “Start recording” button, it correctly attempts to prepare the audio recorder…and that’s it. There must be something failing in the record piece, because I cannot tap the button again to stop recording. According to the code, the only thing I can figure out is that it must be due to recording not actually being invoked - which results in a loop where the user will never be presented with a “Stop recording” option.

Any suggestions as to what I’m missing? I’m wondering if maybe the problem is that I need to scrap this and try to use Audio Queue Services instead?

Here is what I am working with thus far:

MediaPlayerAppDelegate.h

#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
#import <AudioToolbox/AudioToolbox.h>
#import <AVFoundation/AVFoundation.h>
#import <MediaPlayer/MediaPlayer.h>

@interface MediaPlayerAppDelegate : NSObject <UIApplicationDelegate, AVAudioPlayerDelegate> {
    UIWindow *window;
	IBOutlet UIButton *audioButton;	// We want our "Play audio file" button to change its title dynamically, so it needs to be an IBOutlet
	SystemSoundID shortSound;	// From the AudioToolbox framework

AVAudioPlayer *audioPlayer;
	MPMoviePlayerController *moviePlayer;

// Challenge: Audio Recording
	IBOutlet UIButton *recordButton;
	AVAudioPlayer *recordedAudioPlayer;
	AVAudioRecorder *audioRecorder;
}

@property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet UIWindow *window;

- (IBAction)playAudioFile:(id)sender;
- (IBAction)playVideoFile:(id)sender;
- (IBAction)playShortSound:(id)sender;
- (IBAction)recordSound:(id)sender;

@end

MediaPlayerAppDelegate.m - application:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:launchOptions

- (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions {    
        : : : : :
	// Challenge: Audio recording
	NSString *recordedAudioPath = [[NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSDocumentDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES) 
									objectAtIndex:0] 
								   stringByAppendingString:@"recorded.caf"];
	NSURL *recordURL = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:recordedAudioPath];
	// Define audio player with URL for playback later on
	recordedAudioPlayer = [[AVAudioPlayer alloc] initWithContentsOfURL:recordURL error:nil];
	// Define dictionary for audio recorder settings
	NSMutableDictionary *recorderSettings = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] init];
	// Set recording format/quality
	NSNumber *sampleRate = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithFloat:44100.0];
	NSNumber *channels = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:1];
	NSNumber *audioFormat = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:kAudioFormatAppleIMA4];
	NSNumber *audioQuality = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:AVAudioQualityMax];
	NSNumber *audioBitRate = [[NSNumber alloc] initWithInt:128];
	// Define settings in audio recorder dictionary
	[recorderSettings setObject:audioFormat forKey:AVFormatIDKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:sampleRate forKey:AVSampleRateKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:channels forKey:AVNumberOfChannelsKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:audioQuality forKey:AVEncoderAudioQualityKey];
	[recorderSettings setObject:audioBitRate forKey:AVEncoderBitRateKey];
	// Initialize audio recorder
	audioRecorder = [[AVAudioRecorder alloc] initWithURL:recordURL settings:recorderSettings error:nil];

// Default
    [self.window makeKeyAndVisible];    
    return YES;
}

MediaPlayerAppDelegate.m - recordSound

#pragma mark - Challenge: Audio recording and playback
- (IBAction)recordSound:(id)sender{	
		NSLog(@"Stop recording session and playback file");
		[audioRecorder stop];
		[recordButton setTitleColor:[UIColor colorWithRed:0 green:0 blue:0 alpha:1] forState:UIControlStateNormal];	
		[recordedAudioPlayer play];
	} else {
		// Prepare to record
		NSLog(@"Prepare audio recorder");
		[audioRecorder prepareToRecord];
		[audioRecorder record];
		NSLog(@"Recording underway!");
		[recordButton setTitle:@"Recording...Tap to stop" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
		[recordButton setTitleColor:[UIColor colorWithRed:1 green:0 blue:0 alpha:1] forState:UIControlStateNormal];						
	}	
}

Have you tried stepping through the program using the debugger? That should help you find and identify any loop you have in there.

(I know, it’s an obvious question, but…)

The baffling thing is that I do not receive a nil object/error when initializing the AVRecorder, but why on earth would it fail on the prepare to record call? According to the debugger, the “rror = [audioRecorder prepareToRecord]” evaluates to NO; consequently an [audioRecorder record] method fails, too. This is so weird!

I did modify my recordSound method as follows:

[code]#pragma mark - Challenge: Audio recording and playback

• (IBAction)recordSound:(id)sender{
    BOOL error;

NSLog(@“Stop recording session and playback file”);
    [audioRecorder stop];
    [recordButton setTitle:@“Record Sound” forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    } else {
    error = [audioRecorder prepareToRecord];

if (error=[audioRecorder record]) {
      	[recordButton setTitle:@"Recording. Tap to stop" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
      }

}
    }
    [/code]

::sigh:: It must be something obvious; but one would think this should work? It’s perpetually not recording :cry:

Hi,

First glance:

recordedAudioPlayer = [[AVAudioPlayer alloc] initWithContentsOfURL:recordURL error:nil];

shouldn’t this be recordedAudioPlayer = [[AVAudioRecorder alloc] initWithContentsOfURL:recordURL error:nil];

HTH
Gareth

I don’t believe so - that was just a local audio player object that would play the recorded file (once the recording process completed). The strange thing is that I do not receive any errors when initializing the audio recorder, but it simply will not budge when prepareToRecord is invoked. It fails there, and I am totally puzzled:

[code]- (IBAction)recordSound:(id)sender{

BOOL isReadyToRecord;	

NSLog(@"Stop recording session and playback file");
	[audioRecorder stop];

// Define audio player with URL for playback later on
	NSString *recordedAudioPath = [[NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSDocumentDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES) 

} else {		
	NSLog(@"Let's see if our audio recorder is ready for us to record...");
	isReadyToRecord = [audioRecorder prepareToRecord];		
	if (isReadyToRecord) {
		NSLog(@"...yup; our audio recorder is ready. Start recording.");
		[audioRecorder record];
		[recordButton setTitle:@"Recording. Tap to stop" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
	} else {
		NSLog(@"...nope. Audio recorder is not ready to record.");
	}

}

}
[/code]

OK, this is just too weird. This code works COMPLETELY FINE on the iPhone simulator. It fails when being run in debug mode on an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.1. Is that weird, or what?

Problem solved! t worked fine on the simulator because the sim wasn’t restricted by iOS for directories it can write to. Check it out:

/* The following code will fail - why? It fails because it is trying to write some path that is NOT accessible by
		this app.
	 */
	// Correction:
	NSString *recordedAudioPath = [NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSDocumentDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES) 
								   objectAtIndex:0];

recordedAudioPath = [recordedAudioPath stringByAppendingPathComponent:@"recorded.caf"];

That was the first time I’ve experienced that =) It makes sense that the simulator would allow you to write all willy nilly; and although I could initialize the AVAudioRecorder it was actually blocked from being used by iOS because it would mean writing outside the allowed directories. Interesting learning point.