Release?

in HomepwnerAppDelegate.m in method
applicationdidFinishLaunchingWithOptions

We set the itemsViewController possesions array to the array that was unarchived

NSMutableArray *possessionArray = [NSKeyedUnarchiver unarchiveObjectWithFile:possessionPath];

[itemsViewController setPossessions:possessionArray];

I notice we did not release possessionsArray after giving it to possessions.

itemsViewControllerSince setPossession: will use are setter that was created with our @property and @synthesize statements
using the retain keyword.

@property (readwrite, retain) NSMutableArray *possessions;

I thought that since we used retain in the property the setter method would retain the passes in array?

Thanks

Remember the memory management rules: if a method returns an object and it doesn’t say new, alloc or copy, the object is autoreleased.

Therefore, possessionArray, when created, has a retain count of one and is autoreleased. It is sent to itemsViewController, who retains it (bumping retain count to 2). When application:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions: ends, possessionArray is released because it is in the autorelease pool and itemsViewController is the only owner.

Of course, there is a slight error in another place here that I just realized: the first time the app launches, there is no file at possessionPath and a new NSMutableArray is allocated and given to the itemsViewController via setPossessions:. This one would be a leak and should be autoreleased: (possessionArray = [[[NSMutableArray alloc] init] autorelease];, or possessionArray = [NSMutableArray array];). That will be updated in the next printing.

But, since the possessionArray lives the entire time the application lives, its not truly a leak. But that is confusing so pretend I didn’t say that. :slight_smile:

Great.
Thanks

[quote=“JoeConway”]Of course, there is a slight error in another place here that I just realized: the first time the app launches, there is no file at possessionPath and a new NSMutableArray is allocated and given to the itemsViewController via setPossessions:. This one would be a leak and should be autoreleased: (possessionArray = [[[NSMutableArray alloc] init] autorelease];, or possessionArray = [NSMutableArray array];). That will be updated in the next printing.

But, since the possessionArray lives the entire time the application lives, its not truly a leak. But that is confusing so pretend I didn’t say that. :slight_smile:[/quote]

I don’t think there is a leak there. The code in the book differs from that which you’ve just quoted…

[code]// Unarchive it into an array
NSMutableArray *possessionArray = [NSKeyedUnarchiver unarchiveObjectWithFile:possessionPath];

// If the file did not exist, our possession array will not either
// Create one in its absence
if(!possessionArray)
possessionArray = [NSMutableArray array];[/code]

Looks to me like the array being fed to possessionArray is being allocated by a class method of the NSMutableArray class, so presumably it will be in the autorelease pool.

Oh, wait, next printing? Yeah, I’ll just be hiding in the corner pretending I’m not there… :blush: