Resource id for Button widgets not added

I added lines for id for the two Button widgets, as below. I saved activity_quiz.xml. But the id resources do not show up in R.java.

The id class does not look like what is shown in the book. It has action_settings instead of menu_settings as one of the id resources. But the other two auto generated resources for Buttons does not show up.

public static final class id {
public static final int action_settings=0x7f080000;
}

Any idea on what is the problem here?

It appears the resource menu_settings in strings.xml was an error. I changed it the action_settings and that fixed the error. The error on menu resource quiz.xml was resolved. The resource ids for true and false buttons also got generated.

Glad you cleared up the issue.

This is definitely a tricky spot about dealing with resources. Any error anywhere in your resources will prevent all of your resources from building. This can be a little confusing - your layout file’s ids may not be generated for reasons having nothing to do with the layout file.

Not sure the issue has been cleared up. In your book you explicitly say NOT to remove menu_setting and you don’t say anything about action_settings. Please clarify what needs to be added or removed and why.

With the ADT I am using, strings.xml does not have an entry for menu_settings. It has instead an entry for action_settings.
I left that alone.

Thanks a lot for this thread!

I also had the same issue and assume it is the later ADT and SDK. The book uses version 4.2 (API 17) looking at page xxi.

I checked my Eclipse here:
Eclipse -> Help -> About Eclipse Platform -> Android Robot.

Android Development Toolkit

Version: 22.3.0.v201310242005-887826

Eclipse -> Window -> Android SDK Manager:

SDK Android 4.4.2 (API 19)

Kind regards!

I have the same problem, they don’t show up in the R.java
Please help

I am using API 19

[code]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<string name="app_name">GeoQuiz</string>
<string name="question_text">Constantinople is the largest city in Turkey .</string>
<string name="true_button">True</string>
<string name="false_button">False</string>
<string name="action_settings">Settings</string>
[/code]

[code]

[/code]

public static final class id { public static final int action_settings=0x7f080000; }

[quote=“bennakhi”]I have the same problem, they don’t show up in the R.java
Please help

I am using API 19
[/quote]

Try closing ADT and opening it again.

[quote=“atexit8”][quote=“bennakhi”]I have the same problem, they don’t show up in the R.java
Please help

I am using API 19
[/quote]

Try closing ADT and opening it again.[/quote]

Already did
I have been working on this for several days now

I re-created the project from scratch and it works now, I fixed it :slight_smile: